Social Business Manager
Mercy Corps, Monrovia, Liberia
Closing Date for Applications:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy, Leadership and Business Model Development
- Grow longterm business model including products, financials, timelines, and partnerships.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, quality of output and customer service, as well as consistent rigor of finance and administration.
- Ensure compliance within applicable legal and regulatory frameworks.
Consolidate product offering and systems for product delivery
- Design (based on existing prototyping) services and systems for delivery of New Day information services (*currently anticipated to be newspaper) and jobmatching services.
- Lead market research, concept development, and testing of new products. This will include collaboration with the Results, Learning and Research team on Prospects.
- Enhance quality control procedures, and methods for identifying results/impact, as well as developing customer feedback channels.
- Engage and oversee technical staff or contractors to develop online interface and architecture as required.
Partner Identification and Capacity Building
- Identify and assess local business partners with the potential to take over the New Day venture.
- Build the capacity of selected partner(s) to manage the New Day venture, achieving both financial profitability and social objectives.
- (Potentially) Managing Mercy Corps staff seconded/placed in above institutions.
Financial and Staff Management
- Oversee financials of business operations, providing clear guidance to Mercy Corps (and partner) management on financial health and viability of the enterprise
- Manage Mercy Corps budgets associated with New Day
- Build, develop, lead and retain a high performance team
Marketing and relationship management
- Represent the venture both within Mercy Corps and externally. Communicate results with an emphasis on lessons learned and elements of the program that can be replicated
- Promote the New Day brand among the Liberian private sector and youth
- Maintain relationships with the local business community and related government and nongovernmental bodies
- Build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with employers and community leaders
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced degree preferred, ideally an MBA or related field
- Track record of effectiveness in leadership roles, including 3 years of management experience
- Experience working in startup business
- Experience working in HR a plus
- Experience conducting market research and/or product testing
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building of partners and/or staff development
- Management excellence with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop highperformance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Experience working in Africa (including with local partners) a plus