UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
UNICEF South Asia, through effective support to country offices and strategic engagement with partners, contribute to winning support for the cause of children from decision makers and the wider public particularly on key priority issues in South Asia. This includes providing technical assistance, capacity building and coordination to enhance digital advocacy in the region.
In the past few years, UNICEF South Asia has achieved an unprecedented reach and engagement through its social media platforms with more than 1.7 million followers. Many of our audiences not only seek information but are willing to have important conversations on crucial issues concerning children’s wellbeing and rights. Our strategic focus is to ensure greater understanding and participation and meaningful engagement with our online audiences such as young people, parents, political influencers across the region. This also provides us an opportunity to win our audiences’ support for the cause of children in South Asia.
Objective of the Internship:
The purpose of this internship is to find a bright, motivated social media intern for a 6-month period starting October 2019 to help us have deeper conversations with our online audiences and a greater impact for children. This internship will provide the successful candidate an exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and also a better understanding of UNICEF’s mandate to safeguard the rights of every child, everywhere.
Expected results (measurable results):
Under the supervision of the Regional Chief of Communication produce and manage communication and advocacy related materials for ROSA Communication Section.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
Working directly under the supervision of the Regional Chief of Communication, the intern will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
- Support the communication section to coordinate, monitor, and manage direct communications on UNICEF South Asia’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram channels. The intern will work with the Social Media Consultant to develop relevant responses to frequently asked questions for communication campaigns about education, health, nutrition, water and sanitation, gender and humanitarian emergencies.
- Assist the communication section to work with programme sections to map political, government and corporate influencers in South Asian countries in order to ensure targeted communications and have a greater impact for children.
- Help identify current social media trends and topics especially on issues concerning children and adolescents in South Asia.
- Support the growth of UNICEF South Asia Twitter channel through list building and monitoring performance.
- Help employ community management best practices to encourage young people, parents and advocates to participate in social media discussions, increase their understanding of our work for children and guide their journey to other UNICEF-owned channels.
- Assist the communication section with additional tasks as required.
- The intern will work part-time in the Regional Office of South Asia in Kathmandu, Nepal. The intern will work on computer provided by the office. The candidate selected will be governed by and subject to UNICEF’s General Terms and Conditions for interns.
- As an intern, you will respect the confidentiality of information that you collect or are exposed to at UNICEF. No reports or papers may be published based on information obtained from UNICEF without the explicit written authorization by the Head of Office or Division Director.
- The UNICEF internship programme is not connected with employment and there is no expectancy of such. Interns cannot apply for posts advertised internally to UNICEF staff during the period of internship.
The successful intern will be governed by the following conditions:
- Status: Although not considered a staff member of UNICEF, the intern shall be subject to the authority of the Executive Director and the authority delegated by her to Director and Heads of Offices. Interns are not entitled to the privileges and immunities accorded by member states to UNICEF's officials and staff members.
- Financial Support: Interns are paid a nominal stipend. Living accommodations and other expenses are their own responsibilities.
- Medical Health and Coverage: UNICEF accepts no responsibility for costs or fatality arising from illness or accidents incurred during the internship; therefore, the intern must carry adequate and regular medical insurance.
- Confidentiality and Publication of Information: As an intern, you will respect the confidentiality of information that you collect or are exposed to at UNICEF. No reports or papers may be published based on information obtained from UNICEF without the explicit written authorization by the Head of Office or Division Director.
- Employment Prospects: The UNICEF internship programme is not connected with employment and there is no expectancy of such. Interns cannot apply for posts advertised internally to UNICEF staff during the period of internship.
Education: Recently completed or currently pursuing a University Degree in English, communication, journalism, creative writing, politics, social science or a similar discipline
- Strong communication skills, written English skills and ability to write clearly, succinctly and for varying audiences
- Knowledge of standard MS Office applications and other computer skills
- A keen and proven interest/knowledge in social media and other creative web applications
- Knowledge of and interest in South Asia news is an asset
- Good research and analytical skills
- Knowledge of child rights principles is an asset or willingness to learn
- Previous experience working in digital communications or for an international organisations highly desirable
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity and enthusiasm
- Able to work well in a team environment
- Ability to quickly understand instructions, ask for clarification when needed, adapt and work independently to produce results on time
- Enthusiastic, creative and happy to take and learn from feedback
Language Proficiency: Fluent in English written and spoken