UNICEF South Asia, through effective support to country offices and strategic engagement with partners, contributes to winning support for the cause of children from decision makers and the wider public particularly on key priority issues in South Asia. This includes providing technical assistance, capacity building and coordination to enhance digital advocacy in the region.
In the past few years, UNICEF South Asia has achieved unprecedented reach and engagement through its social media platforms, with more than 2 million followers. Many of our audiences not only seek information but wish to actively engage in conversations on crucial issues concerning children’s wellbeing and rights. One of our strategic focuses is to ensure greater understanding, participation and meaningful engagement with our youth online audiences across the region, especially through an exploration of new digital platforms with substantial youth audiences, such as TikTok. This will also provide an opportunity to win the youth audiences’ support for the cause of children in South Asia.
Objectives of the Internship:
The purpose of this internship is to find a creative, innovative, motivated social media intern for a 6-month period starting April 2021 to launch UNICEF South Asia’s new TikTok account. The qualified candidate will support UNICEF ROSA’s efforts to engage children and youth of South Asia in meaningful conversations about child rights. This internship will provide the successful candidate an exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of UNICEF’s mandate to safeguard the rights of every child, everywhere.
Expected results (measurable results)
Under the supervision of the ROSA Regional Chief of Communication, the intern will:
- Launch the UNICEF South Asia TikTok account
- Grow UNICEF South Asia’s TikTok following among key target audiences
- Design two regional campaigns for TikTok – Climate Change and COVID
Key tasks and responsibilities
Working directly under the supervision of the Regional Chief of Communication, the intern will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
- Prepare UNICEF South Asia TikTok profile’s strategy and launch plan.
- Support the official launch of UNICEF South Asia TikTok account.
- Work with ROSA Social Media Consultant to create bi-weekly content calendars.
- Independently develop creative and fun video concepts, as well as compile content from the region and edit videos suited for the TikTok platform and targeted audiences.
- Promote UNICEF’s brand awareness and regional advocacy priorities and programs on TikTok.
- Map TikTok influencers in the region and identify opportunities to partner with at least 4 TikTok influencers in 2021 to promote UNICEF campaigns.
- Prepare bi-weekly analytics and content reports capturing regional trends, feedback from followers, opportunities and challenges related to youth and children in the region, and UNICEF South Asia’s TikTok account performance.
- Maintain a repository of all TikTok-related multimedia (audiovisual and graphics) on UNICEF WeShare platform.
- Lead day to day monitoring and management of UNICEF South Asia’s TikTok account, including posting content, monitoring content performance and coordinating with ROSA Social Media Consultant to manage responses to questions and queries posted by followers.
- Adapting TikTok trends in an innovative way to create fun and creative videos that are on trend, but still adhere to UNICEF key messages.
- Engage with the TikTok community daily in a way that is on-brand.
- Establish best practices.
- Contribute to the strategy, vision, and voice of the channel.
- Conduct a qualitative report to identify themes and issues raised by South Asian youth on the platform.
- In charge of the fan base growth of UNICEF South Asia TikTok channel.
- Assist the communication section with additional tasks as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
- Recently completed or currently pursuing a University Degree in English, communication, journalism, creative writing, video editing, graphic design, social science or a similar discipline
- Demonstrable significant experience as a TikTok user
- Demonstrable knowledge of which content performs well on Tiktok and what does not
- Experience editing videos for web and social media
- Strong communication skills, written English skills and ability to write clearly, succinctly and for varying audiences
- Knowledge of standard MS Office applications and other computer skills
- A keen and proven interest/knowledge in social media and other creative web applications
- Experience using design and editing softwares such as Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut or similar to create videos
- Knowledge of and interest in South Asia news is an asset
- Good research and analytical skills
- Knowledge of child rights principles is an asset or willingness to learn
- Previous experience working in digital communications or for an international organisations highly desirable
- Fluent in English written and spoken