PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Within the Department of Communications (DCO), the purpose of the position is to support and drive WHO's social media presence, principally that of the Director-General. The incumbent is a member of a unit providing Internal and Leadership communications support to the DG. (S)he also works closely with members of the social media team under the Digital unit.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Department of Communications (DCO) objectives are to: lead the development and implementation of the corporate communications plan, drive prioritization and "right size" effort with expected impact for WHO; position WHO as authoritative and trusted voice on health at the global level through working with technical departments to develop strategies to amplify WHO's normative work; lead WHO media outreach, incl. crisis/ emergency communication with input from technical departments as well as across all 3 levels; drive all communication to the general public as well as responding to media enquiries; lead on global advocacy (e.g. health campaigns, public health information, donor visibility for resource mobilization); provide digital global production capacity & expertise to support all levels of the organization
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Provide real-time social meda support to the Director-General as part of the Internal and Leadership unit;
- Partner with the Social Media team under the Digital unit;
- Liaise across HQ including with the Director-General's Speechwriter and key members of the Director-General's office to identify social media needs and provide proactive support;
- Provide innovative, strategic advice to the Director-General to strengthen his presence on social media in representing WHO;
- Contribute to managing WHO's reputation by monitoring public opinion and concerns, responding strategically and creating social media opportunities for WHO;
- Analyze the DG's social media reach and engagement and advises on any improvements.
- Works closely with members of the social media team under the Digital unit.
Essential: A university degree in Communications, Media Studies, International Affairs, Public Health, Public Policy, Sustainable Development, Project Management, Journalism or relevant field.
- Training in public health or sustainable development issues.
- Knowledge of WHO mandate and goals
- At least 5 years of experience in social media as part of a communications or external relations department, or other relevant fields;
- Experience in health-related content creation, including at least 4 years in an international context;
- At least one year in managing corporate or well-known individual's social media accounts with significantly large following and robust engagement;
- Experience in producing social media communications for senior leadership, including managing social media communications plans and events coverage;
- Experience of working with WHO or UN or similar international organization;
- Experience in using graphic software, including but not limited to Canva, Adobe Suite;
- Demonstrated experience in managing corporate social media accounts;
- Demonstrated experience producing digital content for social media;
- Demonstrated experience in developing social media content for senior leadership.
- In-depth understanding of issues in public health, development, external relations and international affairs.
- Strong interpersonal skills in a multicultural, multilingual environment and readiness to adjust quickly to high demands of social media environment and real time support for senior leadership.
- Ability to multitask in fast-paced environments with tight deadlines; willingness to travel, including on short notice;
- Relationships with social media platforms, channels, experts around the world;
- Proven knowledge of various social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn; relationships with key individuals at social media and related firms, organizations.
- Knowledge of WHO's mandate, goal and work, as well as its structure and complexity
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Promoting innovation and organizational learning
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English
- Desirable: Beginners knowledge of French