UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
The consultant is expected to work on strengthening social protection impact on children and increasing the use data on child for policy and programme action.
Strengthening social protection impact on children:
- Support the drafting of the Social Protection Strategy and to strategically disseminate it, which will help reform of the social protection system and establish a model which links all social protection initiatives (including Takaful and Karama Programme).
- Support strengthening of integrated social protection systems through UNICEF's technical support to MoSS to improve linkages with other social protection interventions such as health, education and child protection services.
- Support the work of the International Poverty Centre (IPC) in Brazil to enhance the child focus of the M&E system by delivering advisory notes on health and education and targeted support to their M&E system through beneficiary analysis and reporting tool and a web application.
- Finalize the 3 targeted papers based on the findings of the assessment on the Readiness of Health and Education Services for the poorest households in Egypt. The data of the assessment are used to produce 3 targeted papers to transform the report into a tool to influence policies in the country, a summary report and 2 papers on making the health and education systems work for the poorest households.
- Conduct field visits to monitor and report based of UNICEF support to MoSS and identify key emerging issues arising from the field.
- Participate in spot checks and monitoring visits to implementing partners to monitor resources transferred in accordance with HACT and offer administrative support to the direct DCT to MoSS.
- Support the office in the work of the UNPDF to effectively monitor UNDPF results and support annual progress. This entails collection of information in close coordination with UN focal points and national counterparts.
- Provide support to the regulatory framework for people with disabilities through follow up on the disability consultant seconded at MoSS under the supervision of the Deputy Minister.
Increasing the use data on child for policy and programme action:
- Provide regular analysis through production of a series of data snapshots covering various child related issues. The Snapshot integrates recent evidence from multiple sources and aims at encouraging deeper discussions on issues important to children.
- Produce of a number of joint knowledge products with national counterparts (such as NCCM and MoSS) to bring evidence closer to decision makers for the realization of child-wellbeing through better-informed policy decisions and implementation.
- Provide assistance and support to disseminating various child related papers/publications and other knowledge products through a dissemination strategy efficiently targeting counterparts, donors, media and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Coordinate the Spotlight seminar series which targets students, professors, research and other stakeholders to shed the light on important issues related to children and start a dialogue between the academia, civil society and the government. Each seminar would discuss a different topic at a university (AUC, Cairo University, Al-Azhar..etc)
- Provide support to the communication and social media activities regarding the verification of data for media campaigns and materials.
ACTIVITIES, DELIVERABLES AND TIMELINES, PLUS BUDGET PER DELIVERABLE
The consultant is expected to complete the following deliverables:
- Finalized and approved service readiness assessment targeted papers and their dissemination (Summary report, health and education targeted papers, and policy paper).
- Two Data Snapshots to cover broad areas related to child protection, health and overall wellbeing, analyzing recent trends and available data. These Snapshots are crucial to address issues facing children in Egypt and convince the target audience on the urgency of the issue through a call for action.
- Two policy briefs (NCCM) - NCCM in collaboration with UNICEF is producing a series of policy briefs building on the strong partnership, to bring evidence closer to decision makers for the realization of child-wellbeing through better-informed policy decisions and implementation.
- 2 Spotlight Seminars - The series of spotlight seminars targets students, professors, research and other stakeholders to shed the light on important issues related to children and start a dialogue between the academia, civil society and the government.
- Four external dissemination events - this includes launch events, interviews, seminars --etc.
- Monthly, based on monthly progress report.
QUALIFICATIONS, SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AND ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES
For Egyptian Nationals ONLY.
Education: Advanced (Master level) degree in Social Sciences, International Development, Economics or any relevant area of study.
- At least 3 years of proven professional experience in one of the following areas: public policy, public administration, monitoring and evaluation, or research on socio-economic issues.
- Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
- Written and spoken English and Arabic skills are required.
- Familiarity with UNICEF work and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF's mission and professional values.
Language:Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of social statistical data sources (especially those relevant to children in Egypt).
- Previous working experience with UNICEF or another international/development organization on child rights.
- Knowledge of key documents, reports, studies on social protection, poverty, social and economic development in Egypt.
- Previous experience in social protection.