CIMMYT, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated and applied social scientist to join a multi-disciplinary research & development (R&D) team working on several exciting applied projects aimed at improving cereal-based systems and livelihoods in South Asia through sustainable intensification and associated market and value chain development, with a particular focus on Nepal and Bangladesh. These projects foster innovative and applied science, public-private partnerships, with a strong focus on rural services provision, scale-appropriate agricultural machinery manufacturing and business models, and social and behavioural change communication processes.
The position will be based in CIMMYT office in Dhaka, Bangladesh, but Kathmandu Nepal will be considered as an option.
- Lead an ambitious research agenda in the context of large-scale development projects related to PPP, business models and market systems, to include themes related to small and medium enterprise (SME), market development for services and inputs, social inclusion, innovation systems, social and behavioral change, and impact assessment.
- Contribute to building capacity within a multidisciplinary research and project implementation team on themes related to private sector and markets, particularly in rural entrepreneurialism and agricultural machinery manufacture and services provision, through day-to-day coaching, coordination, and training.
- Engage regularly with project partners, to include NGOs, government agencies, industry associations and businesses, in the design and implementation of project activities and in feedback and validation of research findings.
- Contribute to the design of project activities and reporting (e.g. annual work planning, partner agreements, training, monitoring and evolution) through workshops, conference and journal publications.
- Translate research and applied field work findings into priorities and implications for researchers and development practitioners, including the development of strategies, options, and recommendations to set research priorities, guide policy decisions, facilitate adaptation and stimulate scaling up and out through public-private sector partnerships.
- Apply novel research methodologies to rigorously document successes and challenges to project-related activities on value-chain development, private sector partnerships, and extension and scaling.
- Engage extensively with and contribute to CIMMYT’s market and value chain community of practice/research theme to develop a strategic research portfolio, cross-regional research and resource mobilization.
- Publish findings for a variety of stakeholders, to include project-related publications and publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned as needed.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Strong interest in applied research in the context of rural development projects, to include extensive engagement within multidisciplinary project teams.
- PhD degree in relevant discipline (e.g., development economics, rural development, agribusiness, agricultural economics).
- 5 years of experience in a similar position or activities.
- Experience the design and implementation of research in developing countries, to include the use of mixed research methods (quantitative and qualitative).
- An ability to communicate and collaborate effectively and build capacity.
- Experience working in public-private partnerships is desirable.
- Experience working in the context of USAID funded projects is desirable.
- Demonstrated capacity to publish research findings in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively and respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem solving and decision-making, Client orientation, Negotiation and conflict resolution, Communication and Teamwork.