UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in 166 countries, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and its wide range of partners. UNDP’s global focus is helping countries build and share solutions to the challenges of:
- Democratic Governance;
- Poverty Reduction;
- Crisis Prevention and Recovery;
- Environment and Energy and
- HIV/AIDS. UNDP helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively.
In all its activities, UNDP encourages the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women.
Within the aforementioned global context, UNDP Turkey works for Democratic Governance and Growth without Poverty. For more than 50 years the UNDP has worked in close partnership with the Turkish Government and numerous national and international institutions, including NGOs, academics and the business community.
UNDP Turkey aims to find practical solutions to Turkey's development challenges and manages projects together with the Turkish Government and other partners to address them. Since 1986 it has implemented over 80 programs across the country. In addition, the UNDP has played a major role in response to crises and disasters in Turkey and the surrounding region.
Within the above-mentioned context; UNDP Turkey will support the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services (MoFLSS) for “Effective Social Service Delivery Through Better Monitoring, IT Systems and Capacities” project. The overall objective of the project is to improve the IT infrastructure to strengthen its capacities for monitoring and implementation of social service provision and establish a stronger infrastructure for the service delivery models to be set up in the future. The project, with its monitoring perspective, will also provide inputs for the policy making process relating to the service areas of the MoFLSS. This project will consist of number of IT and Monitoring System related activities which include Hardware, Network, Software, Database, Training and MoFLSS IT Department Staff Capacity Development activities. And to support the achievement of the project’s development objectives, the services of a Software Developer are required and UNDP intends to recruit “Software Developer” on a full time basis who will be stationed in Ankara, MoFLSS Premises.
The project will be coordinated and implemented by a multi-disciplinary team at the MoFLSS in Ankara. The Junior Software Developer will support the Ministry in implementation of the project work plan by providing technical support to project activities. The Software Developer will report to MoFLSS National Project Coordinator on a day to day basis and work in close collaboration with the project team, ministry staff and s/he will report to the Portfolio Manager at the UNDP Turkey.
Objectives of the Assignment
The scope of the services that will be carried out by the Software Developer are:
- Develop requested modules from scratch and adding new features existing ones in guidance of the Senior Software Engineers.
- Create the documentation for the related technical issues
Duties and Responsibilities
The Software Developer is expected to assume the following tasks:
Key Results Expected/Major Functional Activities
- Modules developed should meet the functional and technical requirements of Ministry
- Develop system modules by using enterprise software infrastructure of Ministry
- Review and write software codes of the existing system to provide integration with the developing modules of the project using related technologies.
- Design database tables for modules being developed.
- Give technical support to the end users
- Perform other related duties tasked by UNDP in coordination with MoFLSS.
- Software must have the up to date documentation that can guide the ministry/project technical staff
- Create functional specification documents of the system
- Write the input and output procedures for each module
- Assist Writing the module definition and business rules details.
- Prepare documentation in accordance with requirements and/or asked by MoFLSS
- Perform other related duties tasked by the MoFLSS.
Reporting Structure and Duty Station
The incumbent will report to, UNDP Portfolio Manager and will work in close coordination and collaboration with the MoFLSS staff and Coordinators of the subject matter projects. Weekly and/or monthly reports are expected from the incumbent that indicates the events affecting the works. In case of emergencies, the report should be made immediately the event occurs.
Software Developer will be based in Ankara within the MoFLSS premises.
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
- Work items developed on time
- Software Modules developed in accordance with the functional requirements
- Functional Requirement Documents on developed modules generated
- Design database tables for modules developed
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Avoids any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Required Skills and Experience
The incumbent should possess the following qualifications and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, software Engineering or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer Engineering
- Professional Experience and Qualifications
- At least 5 years of professional experience in software development
Specific Experience and Qualifications
- At least 4 years of experience in Relational Database Management Systems (such as SQL or Oracle)
- At least 4 years of experience in C# Programming Language
- Experience on web development technologies
- At least 3 years’ experience on ASP. Net, MVC
- Experience on Version Control Systems
- Experience on Ajax, Jquery,
- Internships (paid/unpaid) are not considered professional experience.
- Obligatory military service is not considered professional experience.
- Professional experience gained in an international setting is considered international experience.
- Experience gained prior to completion of undergraduate studies is not considered professional experience.
- The incumbent of the position should strictly avoid
- any kind of discriminatory and abusive behaviour including gender-based discrimination
- any kind form of sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse
- The incumbent of the position should ensure that
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced;
- zero tolerance principle to sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse is prioritized.
UNDP prioritizes gender equality and women's empowerment approach in all its actions, workplace relations and implementations as well as gender parity in representation to create a workplace which is equally inclusive of women, men and persons with other gender identities. Temporary special measures will be instituted to ensure appointment of personnel of under-represented genders at grades and in roles where they are under-represented