A Software Engineer at Wadhwani AI will build web and mobile solutions to bring AI to the benefit of the underserved billions across the developing world.
The Wadhwani Institute for Artificial Intelligence (Wadhwani AI) is the world’s first independent nonprofit research institute developing AI solutions for social good. Our mission is to develop AI solutions to overcome challenges of societal importance in domains such as health, agriculture, financial inclusion, and infrastructure.
Our team consists of world-renowned scientists, innovators, and entrepreneurs from Stanford, Yale, Cornell, and the IITs, with experience at companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and DE Shaw. We have research collaborations with Stanford University, Carnegie Mellon University, New York University, University of Southern California, and the University of Washington.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As a software engineer, you will be responsible for building machine learning based solutions to problems of societal importance. You will participate in problem definitions, and the design and development of solutions to these problems.
- In order to apply machine learning and related technologies for social good, you will need to understand user challenges and their context and design and build web and mobile solutions leveraging state of the art frontend and backend technology that will be deployed in field settings. You will also create well documented libraries, APIs and SDKs that partners and developers can leverage to solve these user problems.
- In addition, the candidate will be responsible for engineering secure infrastructure and automation pipelines to host, curate and transform data, train models and deploy solutions. You will be expected to design and put in place security and software engineering best practices, automation and testing pipelines and develop and review architecture and well documented code to ensure maintainable, debuggable, future-proof solutions.
- At Wadhwani AI, excellence as an individual contributor goes hand-in-hand with good teamwork and collaboration. You will work in cross-functional teams spanning research, engineering, product and program management, and designers. You will also be expected to interact with external partners of Wadhwani AI when required, and to make periodic visits to the communities from where challenges are derived and where the solutions will be deployed.
- Ideal candidates should have a broad experience in architecting and deploying mobile and cloud based solutions to real problems that have had an impact in the world.
- Candidates should care about using their technical skills to solve large societally important problems.
- The candidate should have broad exposure optimizing and debugging software solutions for correctness and performance issues, creating APIs for partners and developers and managing and automating on-premise and cloud infrastructure.
- Candidate should have strong foundations in data structures, algorithms and computer systems and good understanding of the software development and deployment lifecycle including code versioning, build and test automation frameworks.
- Candidates should be comfortable working with cross-functional teams, must have excellent communication skills and a track record of driving projects to completion.
- Candidates should have a Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science, Physics, an Engineering Discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with open-source projects and high performance systems is a plus.