United Nations, Goma, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
This position is located in the Office of the Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General (DSRSG) for Protection and Operations with the United Nations Organisation Stablisation Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO). The Special Assistant will be based in Goma. The Special Assistant reports directly to the DSRSG.
Within delegated authority, the Special Assistant will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Provide substantive and practical support to the DSRSG in ensuring integrated and coherent functioning of the pillar, through effective direction and management, in accordance with the mandate and Head of Mission's instructions;
- Keep the DSRSG informed on all matters requiring his/her attention and that of the Mission Senior Leadership Team; Assist in formulating options as to how those matters might be handled, and ensure appropriate follow-up, as directed.
- Assist the DSRSG with the coordination and preparation of a range of written materials, including but not limited to briefing notes, notes to file, code cables, SG reports, analysis and memoranda.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with Mission components, the authorities, the broader UN family, donors and other national and international partners on policy, management, operational and coordination matters;
- Organize and manage official visits of the DSRSG and the substantive aspects of the DSRSG’s meetings, field visits and MONUSCO events, as required, prepare written summaries and conduct follow-up activities, as appropriate;
- Identify, analyze and monitor developments and emerging issues and trends that might affect the Mission's mandate, operations and management; Assess implications and, in consultation with pillar components, make recommendations on possible policies, strategies and other measures to address issues of concern and to advance mandated objectives; Monitor, evaluate and report on implementation.
- Perform other relevant duties as requested by the DSRSG
- Proven capacity to work under pressure and delivering within tight deadlines. Ability to respond expeditiously to diverse requests from multiple stakeholders and to set priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates
- appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration or related fields. A first-level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, diplomacy, conflict resolution, or related field.
- Extensive experience in political outreach, facilitation, analysis, advice and reporting is required
- Experience working in a conflict or post-conflict setting is required.
- Previous experience working in the office of a senior public official and/or as a Special Assistant (or similar) to a senior official is desirable.
- Previous experience in the Great Lakes region desirable
- Experience working in or in support of a field operation of the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization or non- governmental organization is desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English and knowledge of French is required. Fluency in French is desirable.