Special Assistant to the Director
United Nations Population Fund(UNFPA), Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Special Assistant reports directly to the Regional Director (RD).; s/he works with both the RD and the Deputy Regional Director (DRD) by providing operational, planning, managerial, technical and coordination support to all aspects of the work of the Regional and Country Offices and outside the Region.
- Co-ordinates the Director's participation in UN reform, etc.prepares background papers/briefing documents for the Director; conducts research on organizational thematic areas and other topical issues for the Director and management; follows up on decisions related to UN reform, regionalization and other key initiatives; and fields queries related to these issues.
- Backstops the Directorate, analyzes and appraises incoming documents; drafts statements, talking points and correspondence for the Director ensuring quality and relevance to subject and themes; coordinates preparation of the Regional Office's (RO) inputs to the annual and other reports.
- Assists the Director and his/her colleagues in coordinating the sharing of relevant information within the Regional Office; provides support to the overall office management and attends meetings and monitors the implementation of tasks assigned by the Director.
- Liaises between his/her Regional Office and other offices of UNFPA and the UN system, to obtain relevant information and provides feedback and advice to the Director; monitors and follows up all of the Regional Office's activities, as necessary.
- Undertakes any other tasks assigned by the Director.
- Advanced university degree in public health, demography, social sciences,management or a related subject in international development
- 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in developmental work, preferably in management
- Strong analytical ability and professional experience in policy development
- Basic research skills and familiarity with quantitative and qualitative methods
- Strong writing and oral communication skills
- Good network within the academic and development community
- Field experience is a strong asset
- Fluency in English and Arabic required; knowledge of French an asset.