The Executive Office (ExO) provides vision, innovation, and organizational leadership, and strategically directs and manages UNV. The ExO defines UNV’s long-term goals and immediate objectives, taking into account UN General Assembly resolutions and UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board decisions. The ExO leads the organization’s development, articulation and implementation of the substantive, financial and operational aspects of the UNV programme, e.g. strategies, policies and guidelines.
Reporting to the Chief, Strategic Planning and Executive Support, the Special Assistant to the Executive Coordinator, UNV forms an integral part of the ExO team and of the wider UNV senior staff. He/she provides direct support to the Executive Coordinator and, as appropriate, to the Deputy Executive Coordinator, providing the requisite management support. He/she actively supports and at times represents ExO in a wide range of corporate management tasks as well as in procedural/administrative and policy related matters. He/she builds and maintains strong internal and external relationships for the overall effectiveness of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
Research, review and analysis of key documents for the Executive Coordinator (EC) and the Deputy Executive Coordinator (DEC)
- Review and analyze key documentation for the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC;
- Coordinate, quality assure and review all meeting briefs and speeches to ensure comprehensiveness of input;
- Conduct background research and source inputs from section focal points as required;
- Research on topics as assigned, synthesize and summarize information for the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC, to facilitate decision-making;
- Facilitate preparation of speeches, reports, talking points, and mission reports in support to the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC’s agendas, collecting information from the different sections in Bonn and Regional Offices.
Gender focal point for UNV
- Act as specialist on gender mainstreaming for UNV;
- Review and facilitate implementation of recommendations of the Thematic Evaluation on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment;
- Develop an overall action plan, to be endorsed by senior management, outlining the initial concrete actions to be taken by UNV;
- In collaboration with the Capacity Development and Learning team in the Human Resources Section, develop, maintain and disseminate a comprehensive knowledge base on the gender perspectives in the area of work of UNV to promote the professional development of staff in this area and provide information as required for different purposes;
- Act as focal point for UNV’s reporting to the UN System-wide Action Plan on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women (UN-SWAP).
Support to the Executive Office management
- Assist the Chief Chief, Strategic Planning and Executive Support in ensuring the smooth running of the Executive Office by providing up-to-the-minute information, drafts of analyses, presentations, and well-crafted messages needed by the EC and, as appropriate, DEC, for day-to-day management, meetings and external contacts;
- Interact as required with UNV HQ staff and Regional Managers, as well as with other UN system staff and external partners to ensure that the EC and, as appropriate, DEC, are kept abreast of important developments affecting UNV;
- Coordinate briefs, inputs to briefs and position papers for EC and DEC, ensuring completeness and coordination with the UNV Sections and Regional Offices;
- Contribute to timely and efficient information sharing in UNV, including discussion-papers, documents for e-review, minutes with relevant decisions and others;
- Draft correspondence, notes-to-the-file, etc.at the request of the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC;
- Carefully review correspondence drafted for the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC’s signatures to ensure clarity and that the senior management’s position is clearly reflected;
- Take timely follow-up action on the commitments of the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC, and ensure that agreements are appropriately reflected;
- Facilitate timely preparation of Back-to-Office-Reports for the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC, including communication follow-up action points and other correspondence;
- Attend with the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC as necessary at meetings with senior government officials and senior United Nations officials and all levels of staff within UNV.
Management of the calendars and schedules of the Executive Coordinator and Deputy Executive Coordinator
- Carefully review, in conjunction with the Executive Associates, of the daily calendar and schedules of the EC and DEC, ensuring at all times that the day-to-day schedules are well planned;
- Collaborate in resolving conflict priorities and ensuring that all meetings have adequate representation from the relevant units;
- Collaborate with the operational planning of missions undertaken by the EC and DEC, including identifying major meetings and preparation of briefing documentation;
- Support the development of agenda for weekly Management Team meetings, and monthly Town Hall meetings chaired by the EC and/or the DEC;
- Ensure that a system is in place to handle delicate and sensitive information matters with tact and acumen;
- Coordinate special projects and assignments on behalf of the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC;
- Travel with the EC and, as appropriate, the DEC, as needed, on their official visits to UNV Regional Offices and Field Units/United Nations system meetings and donor and intergovernmental meetings.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to scan and synthesize diverse sets of information to arrive at strategic priorities and positioning recommendations
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
Gender and Institutional Development
- Knowledge of systems for gender mainstreaming and capacity development and interagency collaboration and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to productively share UNV knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues)
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
Brief and Speech Writing
- Ability to prepare quality briefs and/or speeches
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in development, public or business administration, international relations, or related fields.
- 5 years of relevant professional experience in the United Nations system, of which two in the field;
- Experience in working as Special Assistant is desirable.
- Fluency in English;
- Working knowledge of French is an asset.
- Knowledge of the UN/UNDP/UNV system procedures.