Specialist on Access to Finance
Oxfam Novib , Netherlands
Closing Date for Applications:
Micro Finance Services
The Oxfam Novib Fund (ONF) is currently under (discretionary) management of Triple Jump. Its resources are being used to provide loans to Micro Finance Institutions in all parts of the world. In the coming years, more focus will be given to innovation and connection with the other work of Oxfam in the various coun-tries; furthermore, an influencing strategy will be developed, that is based on the experience of Oxfam Novib with the ONF and other MF activities in the past years. This work is being realized in close collabora-tion with the Finance Department of ON.
The B-Ready project pilots the use of weather-based-forecast cash transfers in disaster prone communi-ties in the Philippines. The project tests the impact of cash transfers (through distribution of debit cards before a typhoon hits) on the resilience of the most vulnerable people. In the next phase of this pilot, we will involve financial services providers, in developing financial products to support targeted communities in the event of a natural disaster, for instance early access to savings accounts, preparedness loans and recovery loans. This work is being realized in close collaboration with the Humanitarian Unit of ON, as well as the Oxfam office in (amongst others) the Philippines.
- Act as direct liaison in Oxfam Novib for Triple Jump (fund manager for ONF and Micro Finance Innova-tion Fund) and advise the Board of Directors of ON regarding adjustments and/or renewal of contracts with fund managers.
- Coordinate with TJ the innovation of the ONF portfolio
- Development and implementation of an influencing strategy, based on the experiences of ONF, to cre-ate leverage for Micro Finance services that serve the now underserved poor
- Represent Oxfam Novib in the Micro Finance networks on national and international level and act as a spokesperson for Oxfam Novib on MF issues; be up to date about the latest developments in the financial inclusion sector,
- Coordinate with colleagues in Oxfam with other strategic allies, that work on Financial Inclusion (MF- and SME-focussed) research, project realization and influencing.
- Contribute to the further development of the B-READY concept regarding the role of the financial sec-tor in pre-emptive financial services in the case of forecasted disasters and coordinate with other members within the B-Ready Consortium
- Contribute to the development of new projects and funding proposals for the testing and scaling up of these new concepts, together with Oxfam humanitarian colleagues.
- Contract management of funding contracts with donors and contribute to (monitoring) reports.
- Provide technical support and capacity-building to Oxfam country teams and partners with regard to financial inclusion and Micro Finance.
- Have a master’s degree in a relevant field;
- Have at least 7 years of demonstrable experience working with financial inclusion and Micro Finance portfolios; you have a proven track record in microfinance and/or discretionary fund management
- Have experience working in a complex networks and in international settings
- Have work experience in the NGO sector, and in developing countries and/or humanitarian settings
- Have experience with/exposure to humanitarian cash transfers and understanding of international hu-manitarian system
- Have experience in project development, proposal writing, fund raising and project management
- Have a result-oriented approach and a entrepreneurial mind-set, risk-taking and able to co-create, con-nect, negotiate, innovate and develop with Oxfam teams, partners and alliances.
- Have a understanding of influencing strategies and how to engage other actors and donors in scaling up positive experiences
- Have excellent written & spoken English skills; overall good communication skills & experience in exter-nal profiling. Speaking of other languages can be an advantage
- Are able to work in a multi-disciplinary environment with fund managers, controllers, media, influencers, etc.
- You are a good team player, sensitive to working in multi-cultural environments;
- Have the ability to multi-task, prioritise and meet deadlines; you are self-motivated and are able to work independently;
- You have a commitment to Oxfam's humanitarian principles and commitment to Oxfam's equal oppor-tunity and gender policies;
- You have the availability and willingness to travel to the project countries;
- Experience with capacity-building, gender mainstreaming and conflict sensitivity will be an advantage.