OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Planning and Budget Department (PBU) is in charge of PAHO’s strategic planning, budget management and corporate performance monitoring, assessment and reporting. PBU coordinates the development of the Organization’s Strategic Plan (SP) and Program and Budgets (PB) applying a results-based management (RBM) approach in line with the Organization’s mandates, policies and strategies. It leads and facilitates operational planning and performance monitoring and assessment, in collaboration with all levels and parts of the Organization, to measure progress towards the priorities and results in the Strategic Plan and Program and Budget. PBU also allocates resources to programs and monitors financing and implementation levels throughout the biennium. The Department is accountable to the Director and Deputy Director of PAHO for ensuring programmatic and budget accountability, including the preparation and presentation of reports to PAHO’s Executive Management and Governing Bodies, and to WHO.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Planning and Budget (PBU), and the direct supervision of the Chief, Planning (PBU/PM), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Provide technical and operational support in the elaboration of the Organization’s Strategic Plan, Program and Budget and operational plans;
- Prepare guidelines and other technical documents for the implementation of corporate planning and performance monitoring and assessment consistent with the Organization’s results-based management approach;
- Conduct analyses of current processes and practices, document lessons learned and make recommendations for the improvement and simplification of planning, and performance monitoring and assessment processes at corporate and entity level;
- Support the analysis and development of proposals for the alignment of PAHO’s Strategic Plan and its operational planning components with the Sustainable Health Agenda for the Americas 2018-2030, and the WHO planning and budget instruments;
- Collaborate in the elaboration of the biennial Program and Budgets (PB) to implement the PAHO Strategic Plan;
- Provide technical guidance and support to PASB entities in the elaboration of operational plans and their monitoring and assessment;
- Support the implementation of the corporate performance monitoring and assessment process across all PASB functional levels and the Organization’s joint assessment process with Member States, including the preparation of progress reports for Executive Management and PAHO Governing Bodies;
- Collaborate with technical teams to develop indicators and metrics to measure progress towards impacts, outcomes and outputs achievement, and with administration and other enabling offices to define key management performance indicators;
- Participate and support the implementation and monitoring of the Sustainable Health Agenda for the Americas 2018-2030, including monitoring of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and targets;
- Gather, process and analyze programmatic and budget data to formulate policies, strategies, plans and/or management decisions;
- Support the preparation of regional reports for WHO’s Programme Budget mid-term and end-of-biennium assessment reports;
- Implement capacity building on strategic and operational planning, monitoring and assessment and support to organizational entities, and members of the planning and program management networks to ensure effective and efficient program management;
- Collaborate in the formulation, review and monitoring of the Country Cooperation Strategies (CCS), Regional Strategies and Plans, and voluntary contributions, ensuring that all of these align and contribute to the priorities set in the Sustainable Health Agenda for the Americas 2018-2030, PAHO Strategic Plan and PB;
- Implement planning and program management functionality for the PASB Management Information System (PMIS) and other institutional monitoring and assessment systems, as needed;
- Collaborate in evaluation initiatives;
- Support the functions and strengthening of the planning and program management networks, and other cross-organizational teams, as needed;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in health or social sciences, business administration, economics or related field from a recognized university.
- Essential: Seven years of combined national and international experience working in planning, program management, monitoring and assessment or evaluation.
- Desirable: Experience working with a UN common system organization and/or developing countries would be an asset.
- Intrainstitutional Action: Operates in a fair, consistent and equitable manner, and displays such behavior by example. Ensures that the mission and the values of the Organization as well as the setting in which projects will be carried out are the drivers in one's technical work. Understands the results required and performs to that standard. Behaves consistently in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Organization.
- Analysis Synthesis and Forecasting: Takes or organizes individual and collective action after analyzing situations on the basis of the available evidence and knowledge. Continuously analyzes the evolution of situations in an area of work and makes suggestions to adjust or confirm the decisions necessary to implement required actions. Is capable of anticipating the implications of an analyzed situation between six months to one year ahead.
- Teamwork: Promotes team work and leads one's area to finish tasks and accept responsibility. Creates a positive environment within the area of work. Makes everyone feel like they are part of the team as well as welcomes and appreciates everyone's ideas and suggestions. Able to see the positive aspects of working as a team, shares the team's enthusiasm for achieving mutual goals.
- Communication: Actively engages in conversation with key players in a multicultural environment within the Organization. Develop a network of appropriate contacts inside PAHO to gain information. Takes into consideration the multicultural differences within the Organization.
- Accountability: Identifies, in conjunction with management, specific activities, processes jobs that require defined accountability, linking them to accountability strategies and objectives. Revises periodically progress made in the established work plan with his/her supervisor. Constantly reaches their objectives.
- Information Management: Processes and analyzes the data objectively, presenting it clearly and equitably. Leads the effort to acquire relevant and selected information that facilitates the achievement of organizational results. Evaluates/leads the evaluation of information systems on the basis of its advantages/disadvantages for processing information relevant to the area of work.
- Thinking, planning and the strategic management of technical cooperation interventions: Identifies the risks and benefits of options for future health initiatives based on the analysis of institutional and political trends. Applies a broad approach to work in the health field.
- Evaluation of technical cooperation interventions: Proposes criteria for evaluating interventions at the process, management, and outcome level, in addition to plans for evaluating technical cooperation, in keeping with the PAHO's strategic direction.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of policy formulation, planning, monitoring and evaluation of programs in the health or social sectors, and disciplines related to results-based management, including indicators and metrics to measure impact, outcomes and performance of social programs.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of international technical cooperation, with emphasis on the management of international cooperation programs and projects.
- Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical and conceptual skills; demonstrated ability to assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendations on key technical issues.
- Ability to integrate managerial and technical inputs into recommendations for decision-making processes; ability to manage multiple issues and tasks in a complex organizational environment, and to re-prioritize actions on short notice.
- Ability to create and advocate for innovative approaches to facilitate and enhance program management capacity; as well as monitoring of these processes.
- Excellent organizational and analytic skills combined with strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Languages: Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
IT Skills: Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Knowledge of other software programs such as Visio, Microsoft Projects, Tableau, and use of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems and or data management systems would be an asset.