Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
• CGAP will work in partnership with its members to demonstrate country level success in building ubiquitous digital financial inclusion ecosystems that serve the interests of and are used by most people, including the poor.
• This work will address key barriers associated with the five key elements of an inclusive digital financial services country ecosystem:enabling regulations, enabling infrastructure, dynamic and diverse service providers, payment interoperability, and compelling use cases that work for poor people.
• CGAP expects to contribute to the creation of more markets where multiple providers are successfully demonstrating viable business models to provide a variety of digital financial services and where the majority of people actively use digital accounts.
• This position is intended to lead CGAP work in several countries in Asia, with a strong focus on East Asia and the Pacific.
• The successful candidate will be expected to be based in Singapore.
• Create and lead the implementation of CGAP strategies that help develop financially inclusive market ecosystems based on digital financial services. This includes developing and sustaining over time a deep knowledge of country markets and defining CGAP’s role and activities in each market in a way that strategically maximizes CGAP’s unique strengths. It is also includes managing the work of other staff and consultants towards the implementation of country specific strategies as required. Where obstacles arise in implementing strategy, proactively use creative and independent judgment to generate solutions.
• Build relationships at the CEO and senior management level of banks, telcos and other digital finance providers in order to influence decision-making at the highest levels. Work with a range of businesses to tackle specific challenges or generate solutions to learning questions that will lead to demonstration success cases in-country.
• Lead and conduct CGAP’s high level dialogue with senior policy makers, business leaders, funders, investors, academics and others in ways that influence policies towards enabling and promoting inclusive ecosystem development.
• Work with CGAP members interested in creating digital finance based inclusive market ecosystems to promote cooperation and facilitate “crowding in” relevant investments and inputs.
• Contribute towards implementing CGAP strategy, identify opportunities for all CGAP initiatives to contribute to appropriate market ecosystem development and facilitate those initiatives to do work in the core countries.
• Make regular contributions to CGAP’s global knowledge agenda. This will include overseeing action research and generating solutions that will unlock the potential for ubiquitous digital financial systems globally.
• Contribute to the overall CGAP decision-making process for inclusive payment ecosystems.
• Represent and be a spokesperson for CGAP.
• Master’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Development Studies, International Relations, or other related field and a minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience.
• Significant experience working in developing/emerging markets on financial inclusion/private sector development. It is highly preferred that the candidate have relevant work experience in East Asia and at least one other region.
• Demonstrated in-depth understanding of and practical experience in access to finance for low income populations, with a strong focus on digital financial services.
• Demonstrated ability to him/herself produce or manage others in defining learning agendas, designing research strategies (can be in business or academic setting) and executing on them in a timely and effective manner.
• Track record of conducting relevant dialogue with senior policy makers and business leaders; This should include concrete examples of successfully influencing high-level policy makers and business leaders to make a business or policy decision they otherwise would not have.
• Demonstrated expertise in a range of financial sector issues, especially digital financial services;
• Direct project-level experience in implementing financial sector projects in multiple geographies;
• Track record of working in a start-up environment;
• Experience living and working professionally in at least one country in East Asia and relevant living and work experience in at least one other region;
• Demonstrated research skills, fluency in English, strong English writing skills, and excellent presentation skills;
• Strong verbal skills in Mandarin preferred.
• Ability to operate effectively with all levels of staff, working both as a peer and as a lead that provides a role model and enhances the team-leadership skills of team members.
• Intellectually curious, innovative by nature, and energetic.