SETTING AND REPORTING
This position is located in the United Nations Information Service (UNIS) Vienna (Austria), Strategic Communications Division (SCD), Department of Global Communications (DGC). The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Deputy to the Director and the overall guidance of the Director.
Within assigned authority, the Staff Assistant (Public Information) will perform the following duties:
- Research a broad scope of information sources, printed and electronic to compile and present German-language information for use in the preparation and production of German-language communications products/services for external audiences.
- Prepare and publish brief social media posts, slide shows and other digital communications products in English and German.
- Draft correspondence and communications and respond independently to public enquiries on web contact form and telephone, including by researching and recommending available information resources and sources and/or identifying relevant offices and staff to provide expertise.
- Support staff and managers on administration matters with emphasis on SAP/Umoja and recruitment via the United Nations Talent Management System (Inspira).
- Provide support with day-to-day administration of contracts between the United Nations and external contractors for outsourced services, process the payment of vendors and contractors' invoices and monitors payments.
- Assist managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Monitor expenditures and compare with approved budget; prepare adjustments as necessary.
- Support the Director and other staff by preparing briefing notes, talking points, presentations, gathering relevant documentation, etc.
- Prepare, maintain and update files (electronic and paper) and internal databases; generate a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases.
- Perform other work-related duties, as assigned.
Has knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Has knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures related to the communication, production and dissemination of public information. Is able to research and gather information from a variety of sources. Has ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in general office support, public communication or related area is required.
- Work experience with an ERP system is required.
- Work experience with SAP/Umoja is desirable.
- Work experience within the United Nations system or another international organization is desirable.
- Experience working with administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations and processes is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English and German is required. Knowledge of another language of UNIS Vienna’s client countries (Hungarian, Slovak or Slovene) is an advantage. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.