UNDP in India is reorganizing internally and moving to an integrated, collaborative business model. The vast population, uneven development and geographical makeup up of the country together with the federal structure lends itself to an empowered and decentralized field office structure. There is a strong need to strengthen state level programming, which cannot be done without a strong field presence. UNDP in India has made the effort to expand its outreach in states . Accordingly, in 2016, UNDP had established state offices in five states namely Assam(for North-East), Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Haryana and Uttarakhand, with plans for future expansion in new states as and when demand arises.
At the UNDP Country Office, the Strategic planning unit, is established to lead and manage the decentralized efforts of UNDP for expanding its outreach in the states. To ensure this, the exchange between UNDP Country Office in Delhi and state presences needs to be streghtened and made meaningful. It is important to ensure that staff working at the state level have sound understanding of UNDP’s programme, policies, so that they can leverage the capacities and approaches in Delhi and beyond. This will require a very concerted onboarding effort.
Duties and Responsibilities
The State Outreach Officer will work under the overall leadership and guidance of Chief Advisor and will be based in the State Outreach and SDG Integration Unit in New Delhi. The State Outreach Officer will work towards the designing new projects, integration of UNDP projects and further growing of UNDP’s portfolio at state level, leveraging broad-based partnerships. S/he will coordinate efforts with the programme teams in the UNDP country office and State Heads/Programme Officers in the state offices for better linkages across UNDP’s programme areas. S/he has to undertake wide travel accorss States.The incumbent is also expected to provide advice in business development, project design and resource mobilization both at the state level and Ministries at the centre. In addition, s/he will provide oversight and hands-on support in setting up and day-to-day operational management including risk management of state offices, in close cooperation with the UNDP operations team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engages in partnership building and resource mobilization in the States through:
- Analysis and research of information on funding windows and any other potential sources, preparation of substantive briefs on possible opportunities for partnerships with the state governments in particular with a focus Government cost-sharing;
- Support state offices in deliberating the discussions for participate in meetings to facilitate a closer cooperation with Government/Private sector/Foundations/Banking Insitutions/ bi-lateral and multilateral agencies;
- Preparation of project proposals based on the requirements from State Offices for submission to Government/Private sector/Foundations/Banking Insitutions/ bi-lateral and multilateral agencies;
- Coordinate activities and communications with all relevant stakeholders to build and strengthen existing strengthen relationships with partners and relevant government counterparts;
- Identifies capacity building and institutional development needs and implementation of appropriate interventions to enhance capacity and skills in the country for programme/project development and resources mobilization;
- Develop and support implementation of UNDP’s strategy, making the business case for a closer private sector engagement focusing on both partnerships in CSR and core businesses;
- Organise private sector/public sector/banking institutions networking meetings and channelize funding in collaboration with State Offices.
- Coordination with NITI Aayog on the Transforamtion of Aspiration Districts programme / Project Management Unit and provide technical support in review of proposals submitted by States, solutions mapping for identified development bottlenecks in the districts;
- Support State Government in developing strategies to transform the human development indices in Aspirational Districts;
- Coordinate with Aspirational district officials to identify the Low hanging fruits and prepare the project proposals to support the District Magistrates for funding from CSR window of CPSEs and innovation proposals;
- Support the organization of workshops and other events related to the Aspirational Districts/SDGs, including preparation of inputs;
- Establish and Maintain strategic contacts and association with relevant partners, follow-up proactively on engagement ideas and work closely with UNDP Programme Units;
Provides Support in oversight and in setting up and management of state offices through:
- Support in setting up new state offices and in ensuring full compliance of state offices’ operations with UNDP rules, regulations and policies;
- Support State offices in Identifying approaches and modalities to achieve set management targets, ensuring cost-effectiveness and a satisfactory return on investment of the state offices;
- Support in Identifying suitable partnership instruments and operational modalities for UNDP’s engagement with the state governments, and negotiating non-standard instruments and modalities with state governments, the UNDP country office and HQ, as needed.
Provides oversight and management of initiatives and programmes through:
- Effective application of Result Based Management (RBM) tools in project management; establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results;
- Performance of the functions of project manager in Atlas as defined and participation in recruitment processes for projects;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions; follow-up on audit recommendations and other;
- Preparation and contribution to the regular reports on outputs and outcomes as required.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge generation and management through:
- Provide support to formulate and develop best lessons learnt products and tools;
- Ensure quality assurance of knowledge products with relevance for UNDP’s work on signature solutions;
- Identifies, synthesize and share lessons learnt and good practices directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Identifies sources of information related to policy-driven issues; and quality contribution to knowledge networks regionally and globally to support the provision of quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management;
- Any other work related to State Outreach suggested by supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Post-graduate or equivalent in Public Administration, Economics, Management, Development Studies, Social Sciences, or closely related field.
- 10- 15 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in designing programmes and management advisory and support services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Proven experience and evidence in resource mobilization and partnership development;
- Proven track record in providing policy advice and technical assistance.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Strong ability to analyze and visualize data in easy-to-grasp ways.
- Significant working experience in Government, International Organisations, Private Sector, Multilateral institutions focusing on development Sector;
- Sound understanding of the nuances of resource mobilization and partnership management;
- Experience in implementing large scale development or government programmes.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and working language of the duty station.