Statistician with the Centre Support Unit under the Centre for Child and Adolescent Health
icddr,b, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
- Research Concept Development : Independent statistical research: Explore statistical research ideas; Develop conceptual framework; Create statistical research hypothesis and objectives; Align research hypothesis and objectives with goals of the centre; Finalize research hypothesis, methodology and timelines in consultation with RG Coordinators and Centre Director; Other research projects: Provide support to researchers to make research methods and tools efficient; Resolve queries / questions related to the soundness of methodology in order to develop independent statistical research ideas and enhance statistical rigor of other research concepts.
- Scientific Analysis and Knowledge Creation : Undertake statistical analysis and conduct data modeling on the research data in conjunction with primary authors and researchers; Resolve queries and issues related to statistical analysis in order to provide high quality of results (tables/figures) from data analysis to researchers within defined timelines and help prepare high quality manuscripts and reports for research projects.
- Scientific Capacity Building : Prepare draft research questions for training needs analysis; Track data responses for training needs within CCAH; Collate data and conduct analysis to understand requirements and priorities of internal customers; Develop training calendar for technical trainings related to data management, statistical data analysis etc.; Prepare training materials and modules; Guide team to conduct trainings; Conduct statistical trainings for internal staff and external academic / government authorities; Analyze training feedback from participants and make appropriate changes in order to build statistical capabilities within the centre.
- People Management : Promote a spirit of collegiality in support of diversity amongst team members and in the organization; Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Conduct weekly review meetings and encourage team to share experiences for knowledge transfer; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed; Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Recommend promotions; Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and Relevant Experience:
- M Sc. in Statistics / Bio-statistics / Applied Statistics;
- 5 years of experience in statistical domain in a reputed organization. However experience may be relaxed up to 3 years for the candidates who have relevant skills.
Functional Competencies: Knowledge on
- Statistical approaches used in public health research, including but not limited to study design, sampling design, regression analysis with mixed variables;
- Statistical programming languages including STATA, R or SAS;
- Developing and facilitating training on statistics and/or statistical software;
- Independent writing capacity for publication;
- Distance learning module and material preparation to train researchers;
- IT especially good understanding about relational database;
- Special types of data such as spatial data, image data;
- Ability to manage team of statisticians and ensure high quality statistical support to researchers.
- Can maintain good Collegiality in the work place;
- Can foster Partnerships;
- Able to Communicate effectively;
- Should have Innovative thinking skill;
- Able to Execute for Results;
- Able to adopt with Continuous Learning;
- Able to Nurture Talent.
- icddr,b is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates. Any persuasion will disqualify the candidature. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.
- Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: https://centre.icddrb.org/recruitment/jobList.jsp by January 19, 2015. Candidates who are internal must mention their identification number in the applications.