Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, Suva, Fiji
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Sustainable Development Officer, and overall supervision of the Head, ESCAP Pacific Office, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
- Organizes, designs, plans and carries out the collection, evaluation, analysis, compilation and dissemination of statistical data by selecting methods of data collection, in support of improving national and Pacific sub-regional monitoring and accountability for the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Participates in the development, implementation and management of statistical database(s).
- Serves as a focal point for all ESCAP Statistical activities in the Pacific, provides training and technical support on data collection programmes, country practices and other related information, including through promoting collaborative approaches between ESCAP and partners.
- Participates in the design and implementation of statistical capacity development initiatives in the Pacific sub-region, in particular in trade and investment statistics and related areas.
- Participates in the development or revision of standards on statistical concepts, definitions and classifications by performing methodological research.
- Prepares draft technical documents for international, intergovernmental and expert group meetings and assists in drafting relevant reports.
- Contributes to the preparation of the analytical content and tabular and graphical presentations of data for ESCAP and inter-agency publications.
- Organizes and participates in seminars, working groups and expert meetings as a technical resource person.
- Guides, trains and supervises general service staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics, economics, sociology or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data or related area.
- Expertise in trade and investment statistics is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.