Management and coordination of assignment
The consultancy is expected to commence on March 18, 2020 ) and end on September 17, 2020 , for a total of 6 months months. The consultant will report directly to Senior Adviser, New Aid Modalities within PPD in New York with dotted line reporting to the Chief, Global Philanthropy, within PFP Geneva. S/he will be hired on a fulltime basis on a UNICEF consultancy contract. The consultant may work remotely, with periodic travel to UNICEF offices, the UAE and to regional workshops and gatherings and partner meetings.
The consultant will:
- Ensure strategic engagement of key stakeholders and partners particularly in regard to high level marketing and partnership VIP events to be undertaken, mostly in majority Muslim countries.
- Support direct outreach to leading individual UHNWI and foundation prospects.
- Broker partnerships with Islamic financial institutions regarding GMPFC.
- Support UNICEF’s stakeholder engagement with it partner in GMPFC, the Islamic Development Bank.
- Lead engagement with, and secure support for GMPFC from Zakat institutions, collectively and / or individually.
- Play an active role in discussions with regards to the formation of the project pipeline to be supported by GMPFC, particularly with regard to Shariah questions.
- Provide advice with regards to follow up Islamic Finance mechanisms benefiting UNICEF, building from GMPFC.
Expected results (measurable results)
Key deliverable for the consultant will be a weekly report detailing progress towards the following outcomes:
- 3 or more VIP Events undertaken marketing the fund with strong attendance from genuine prospects for GMPFC, 10-15 warm prospects identified, and 3 donors confirmed.
- 3 or more major philanthropic donors confirmed, with 1 at least giving at GMPFC Governing Council threshold of $ 10 million.
- 1 or more fundraising partnership confirmed with private Islamic finance institution.
- Successful participation of UNICEF at Annual Meeting of the Islamic Development Bank undertaken.
- Contributions to GMPFC confirmed by at least 3 Zakat institutions individually or a collective commitment from 3 or more Zakat institutions.
- Project pipeline in place for deployment of first contributions channeled by GMPFC to UNICEF.
- At least one follow up Islamic Finance mechanism to build from GPMFC, at advanced concept stage with potential partners engaged.
The Consultant will additionally, as a final deliverable, provide a final report documenting success in the above outcomes, and making recommendations to continue marketing the fund and related initiatives.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) relating to Islamic Finance required.
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in Islamic Financing and/or Muslim Philanthropy through relationships with Islamic financial institutions, foundations and / or high net worth Muslim philanthropists.
- Demonstrated expertise and understanding in the receipt and administration of Zakat funds.
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of fundraising and philanthropy is required, as is an understanding of international development.
- Professional experience of significiant partnership building the Gulf Area, Malaysia, Indonesia or other focus countries is required.
- Experience of working in international organizations, and proven working experience of the United Nations are additional assets.
- Fluency in English is required, with other UN languages, particularly Arabic, desirable.