The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Advanced University degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering,Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNEMENT:
To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP logistics operations including monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full. The incumbent will report to Head of Supply Chain eDRC and administratively to Head of Area Office Kalemie. Technically the incumbent will report to Head Supply Chain DRC.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of supply chain plans and procedures, in line with the global WFP supply chain strategy and regional/functional strategies, policies and plans, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Provide substantive contributions to regional/country context analyses and to the management of end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, in support of operational supply chain challenges and operational optimization.
- Contribute to planning and implementation of supply chain operations, initiatives and services to ensure a timely, cost-effective and integrated approach and in close cooperation with key supply chain stakeholders.
- Perform analyses and detailed conceptual work putting together comprehensive reports identifying opportunities for improvement and effective operationalization of supply chain within the area of responsibility.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff for maximizing use of resources and effectiveness of supply chain operations.
- Build and maintain productive partnerships mostly at the operational level and collaborate with counterparts in the key supply chain functions contributing to an integrated supply chain approach to food assistance and cross-functional operational alignment.
- Build and maintain productive partnerships with supply chain counterparts amongst government and other national organizations, UN agencies, NGOs and private sector to share operational knowledge contributing to coordinated and cost-effective supply chain operations.
- Provide technical contribution to market analysis and supply chain network mapping to inform the selection of an appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Support management of supply chain operations, or manage less complex supply chain operations, in compliance with the established supply chain strategies, policies, procedures and controls, and following corporate standards, with special emphasis on quality control, loss prevention, risk mitigation and cost effectiveness.
- Support the monitoring of supply chain activities to check that appropriate internal controls are followed to increase the day-to-day efficiencies and overall performance of supply chain operations.
- Support management of service providers/vendors, port, fleet and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations.
- Prepare accurate, comprehensive and timely reports, dashboards and other visual materials on supply chain activities including trends to support informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Guide and supervise staff, acting as a point of referral, providing training and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Contribute to preparedness actions and support quick emergency response to deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Other as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- Improved and effective service delivery mechanism in place
- Capacity building of national and co-operating partners staff on the best practice of Supply Chain
- Improved relationship and partnership strategies in place
- Expand Service provison profile under Area Office.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Five years working experience in humanitarian logistics and transport sectors.
- Demonstrated experience in shipping and customs clearance formalities.
- Experience in procurement and warehouse and commodity management.
- Experience working with major corporate systems/tools (WINGS, COMET, FMS).
Knowledge & Skills:
- Supply Chain management/Logistics?Procurement
- Knowledge of MS word, Excel, powerppoint, Access
- Sound Knowledge of WFP corporate tools – WINGs, COMMET, FMS
- Demonstrated management and Supervisory skills - critical
- Project management and planning skills
- Knowledge of CBT and P4P initiatives
Languages: French and English language. Knowledge of local language an advantage.