The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) signed an agreement in September 2017 that seeks to accelerate on-the-shelf availability of health commodities through sustainable solutions across 17 countries over 3.5 years.
SOLVE (Supply Optimization through Logistics Visibility and Evolution) provides a unique value proposition uniting WFP’s global supply chain talent, knowledge and global network with the BMGF’s expertise in health and private sector supply chains. SOLVE is a new and innovative approach to strengthening health supply chains and directly responds to the clarion call made through Agenda 2030, SDG 17 ‘Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.’
As the Supply Chain Officer, you will be responsible for setting the direction and implementing the SOLVE initiative in Tanzania. You will develop country-specific frameworks to increase the maturity of health supply chains by directing evaluations, proposing solutions and leading the implementation of solution-based interventions in three core areas:
You will be based in Dar-es Salaam, Tanzania, report to the Head of Supply Chain in Tanzania. To ensure consistency of the implementation of SOLVE across the 17 countries, you will coordinate on technical matters with the Global SOLVE Cell in HQ, and the Global Project Coordinator of SOLVE will provide input to your performance evaluation.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
As the SOLVE Supply Chain Officer, you will be responsible for the following activities:
- Lead the mapping of health supply chain across Tanzania, including identifying key (private, public, institutional and operational) strategic partners.
- Lead the development of work plans to increase supply chain maturity across priority areas by overcoming supply chain constraints and identifying interventions. Subsequently manage the implementation of the work plans.
- Coordinate with global workstream leads to identify current processes, needs and gaps of health supply chain in Tanzania, and participate in the country’s supply chain maturity evaluations, technical market assessments and retail assessments.
- Lead a team of supply chain experts, ensuring appropriate development and enabling high performance.
- Foster relationships with key health supply chain actors and SOLVE partners to ensure a global cohesion and contribution towards health supply chain maturity.
- Represent the SOLVE project at key meetings with diverse stakeholders ensuring messages are delivered in the appropriate technical language. Be the catalyst to rally stakeholders for action on common supply chain issues.
- Analyze country context, and design and manage end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges and obtain operational optimization.
- Drive continuous improvements by leading and facilitating workshops which are platforms for advocating change.
- Nurture a culture of innovation within the health supply chain and broader health space.
- Ensure the effective achievement of key performance targets.
- Deploy supply chain training plans and initiatives.
- Any other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Advanced University degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Languages: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- Professional Experience; Minimum 5 years of relevant professional post-graduate experience in supply chain and project management
DESIRED EXPERIENCES, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in translating supply chain strategies into operational plans for implementation in a developing country.
- Experience in developing and nurturing relationships and capacity building initiatives with UN agencies, NGOs, private sector and/or government organizations.
- Experience in collaborating with diverse stakeholders and teams including government officials, public health specialists and programme implementers.
- Experience in measuring the impact of capacity strengthening interventions.
- Experience in implementing/setting-up supply chain improvement and optimization initiatives to achieve cost efficiency, improved agility, reliability and quality.
- Experience in forging effective partnerships.
- Experience supervising a team with members from diverse and multi-cultural backgrounds.
Knowledge and Skills
- Solid understanding of humanitarian and/or global health supply chain including actors, networks and strategies, with a track record of building and sustaining high-level relationships.
- Established ability to communicate a clear vision and inspire, motivate and coach a team to achieve extraordinary performance.
- Solid project leadership skills combined with strong in-depth analytical skills.
- Demonstrated excellent project management skills, and multi-tasking abilities.
- Fully conversant in the concepts of maturity models and Visibility Analytics Network (control towers).
- Ability to rapidly grasp and engage team members at different levels of interventions, adjusting to different cultural requirements and managerial needs.
- Takes initiative to understand and resolve unstructured problems with high energy and persistence.
- Effective communication, stakeholder management and influencing skills