Background Information - Job-specific
The Project will fall under the purview of the UNOPS KEMC (Kenya Multi Country Office) Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of Infrastructure, procurement and project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and several Island states.
The Support Services Manager reports to the Country Manager and leads and guides the Support
Services Team in the Zimbabwe Project Office, fosters collaboration within the team as well as the client-oriented approach. The Support Services Manager works in close collaboration with the project teams, partnerships team and PMO in Zimbabwe, Head of Support Services for the Kenya Multi Country Office, UNOPS HQ personnel as well as the relevant UNOPS partners - to successfully deliver operations services.
The Support Services Manager acts as an advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of the Zimbabwe Project Office management and operations. This includes strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, ICT, transportation and vehicle management, administration and security, in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations. The main purpose of the role is to ensure the right support is in place for current and upcoming projects, balancing operational and project priorities, whilst ensuring effective, efficient and consistent support service provision across the project portfolio and internally.
- Operations management
- Project planning and coordination support
- Procurement and logistics
- Human Resources Management
- Administration and Information Technology
- Knowledge Management
- Management of the Operations/Support Services of the Project Office, namely HR Management, Finance,Procurement, Logistical, Administrative and ICT Services - facilitating effective, efficient and consistent support service provision to projects and all activities under the Project Office.
- Support the Country Manager in establishing the management targets. Monitor their achievement
- Collaborate with relevant colleagues to identify the need, determine cost and pro-actively plan all Project Office support services.
- Monitor and supervise all aspects of operations to ensure compliance with corporate strategies, UNOPS rules, regulations, policies, and standards of accountability, ethics and integrity and achievement of results.
- Ensure proper implementation of standards and operating procedures
- Monitor effectiveness of support services, to ensure optimum client service and satisfaction. Drive timely readjustment and improvements of the operations.
- Seek relevant input in support, from e.g. HoSS in place for the Multi Country Oce, IPAS, and Practice
- Act as focal point for any internal/external audit exercise.
- Supervision of the Security related matters and ensuring full compliance with UNOPS security standards and procedures. Implementation of the Business continuity plan.
Project planning and coordination support
- Provide assistance and support to the project budget preparation, revisions and work planning
- Provide input into the early stages of project engagements
- Provide advice on goal setting, targets and performance standards for projects and recommend tools for monitoring, evaluation and auditing.
- Provide advice on project cost sharing, deployment of funds and closure.
- Closely liaise with the Head of Support Services for the Multi Country Office, in order to optimize service delivery and address any issues
Finance and Procurement/Logistics
- Maintain all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes.
- Ensure accurate data entry into UNOPS ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system.
- Monitor project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the work-plan.
- Process direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions.
- Produce financial reports; including developing financial monitoring and reporting formats as per UNOPS requirements.
- Support the Project Managers by monitoring budgets, cash flow and reporting on expense obligations to ensure that deliverables are met.
- Alert the Project Managers or any financial shortfalls and over-expenditures.
- Propose budget revision and initiate corrective action when necessary
- Supervise the Project Office procurement/call for proposal processes, including tendering processes and evaluation and supplier/implementing partners (IPs) selection, to ensure viable procurement solutions that meet operational needs and compliance with UNOPS procurement procedures, regulations and standard of accountability, ethics, integrity and performance.
- Establishment of shortlist of suitable contractors/suppliers/IPs, and the preparation and issue of local tenders/calls for proposal. Evaluation of bids or proposals received and of recommendations for contract awards.
- In consultation with relevant colleague, review, administer and issue contracts, grants agreements, agreements/amendments.
- Provision of guidance on all logistics, asset management and procurement matters. Oversee the logistics of goods and equipment on project sites to confirm delivery and safe warehousing.
- Establishment and management of a vehicle pool for providing transportation services as required by the Office as well as to meet logistical needs
- Development and implementation of a vehicle management and maintenance system in accordance with UNOPS vehicle management policy and procedures;
- Repair and maintenance for all equipment including EDP equipment, communications equipment, vehicles and generators, etc.
- Building management and maintenance activities
Human Resources Management
- Oversee the Support Services HR Unit
- Ensure the Project Office complies with corporate human resources policies, procedures and that all corporate HR initiatives are correctly implemented
- Support the Country Manager in planning personnel required for the optimal administration of the office and for the delivery of the Project Office portfolio
- Oversee all human resource services/processes including recruitment, salary administration and compensation, performance review, training and development, ensuring compliance with human resource rules, regulations, procedures and standards of performance and ensuring that hiring managers actively seek to create diverse teams in terms of gender and geography.
- Promote and support a learning culture by empowering individuals and teams to identify critical learning needs and plan/provide easy access to learning opportunities to maintain personnel competency and flexibility. Definition of training plans for personnel involved in the delivery of support services
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- 5. Administration and Information Technology
- Manage the timely and efficient delivery of all administrative services, (e.g. centralized project admin, premises and asset management, organizational and personnel security, travel and IT). Full compliance of operations of the Country with UNOPS rules, regulations and policies, on administrative matters and supervision of the administrative team.
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries, supervision of the ICT Associate.
- In close collaboration with HQ and HoSS for the Multi Country Office, support the maintenance of a secure and reliable ICT environment, including adequate plans for disaster recovery.
- Manage the acquisition, maintenance, inventory, recording, verification and protection of project and administrative facilities/assets, including IT infrastructure, equipment and servers.
- Identify opportunities for leveraging the use of IT to enhance business operations and efficiency and to facilitate knowledge management, and information sharing.
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the Project Office, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNOPS knowledge management initiatives.
- Development of tools and platforms for operations and data management, ensuring information and knowledge sharing with colleagues, clients and partners
- Impact of Results
- The effective and successful achievement of results by the Support Services Manager for the Project Office
- directly impact on the development and performance of the projects, visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and consequently strengthen its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country served.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics, HR or
- related field.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted
- in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in operations management.
- Some experience in the UN system organisations, preferably in a developing country, is desirable.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English required. Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.