Since 1997, the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has worked with refugees and internally displaced persons in Uganda. From 2007 to 2012 Danish Demining Group (DDG) carried out land mine clearance in northern and western Uganda, based on which Uganda in 2012 was declared free of mines. In 2010, DRC-DDG launched operations in Karamoja, where complementary Livelihoods and Armed Violence Reduction programs are taking place. Currently, DRC-DDG is working in West-Nile, Northern Uganda, Western Uganda and Karamoja.
The main purpose of this position is to provide technical guidance, management and oversight of finance, administration, human resources, supply chain and IT, and ensure training of staff on donor guidelines and standard operating procedures as set by Danish Refugee Council
Finance and Grants
- Overall responsibility for ensuring sound financial management in the Field Office and support the proper grants management in the Field Office
- Ensure DRC finance regulations and procedures are adhered to in the Field Office
- Consistently assess and identify gaps for further capacity building of staff on DRC financial regulations and procedures
- Implement, manage and develop internal controls
- Ensure recording of accurate and complete entries in the accounting system
- Ensure presence of an accurate filing system with accurate and complete transaction documentation
- Ensure timely completion by the finance team of the assigned accounting tasks that are in accordance with the outlined policies and procedures.
- Assist in tracking the journal entries by reviewing the source documentation and making relevant adjustments
- Assist in the preparation of audit requirements
- Support in the preparation of statistical reports and ensure that they are standardized.
- Support in budget preparation and drafting of relevant documents and ad hoc reconciliations
- Maintain and update the Field Office operational budget (master budget).
- Present at various meetings to address issues and provide appropriate guidelines for improvising the businesses process whilst identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Support Team Leaders with budget projections before starting the implementation of projects.
- Coordinate monthly budget review meetings and document the action points.
- Responsible for all financial reporting in the Field Office.
- Ensure DRC procurement guidelines are adhered to in the field office.
- Actively engage and support the program teams in procurement planning to ensure timely delivery of project inputs and activities.
- In liaison with Country Office Kampala, identify, negotiate and implement contract & framework agreements which result in efficiencies in line with financial and forecasting requirements.
- Maintain accurate auditable records of all procurement process which result in high process compliance.
- Administer contract performance, including delivery, receipt, warranty, damages and insurance.
- Plan and engage with Project Managers to understand contract specifications and with suppliers to develop a profile of delivery capability which results in effective market engagement.
- Conduct efficient and collaborative procurements which are DRC and donor compliant (advice, tendering, evaluation award & contract management) and which result in a high value adding commercial outcome.
- Build supplier, category and market understanding through performance management, research and stakeholder briefings which result in the management of commercial issues throughout the procurement cycle.
Administration, IT and Human Resources
- Coordinate recruitment and orientation process for all new staff at field level.
- Ensure that all field staff have valid contracts and informs Kampala HR Officer on any renewals to be made.
- Provide guidance on policy issues at field level in liaison with the Country HR and Admin Manager
- Ensure that Monday morning minutes for the office are shared with the Kampala Admin by Wednesday of every week.
- Overall responsibility for office management and coordination of the Field Office
- Ensure that monthly payroll updates are sent to the Kampala HR Officer by the 15th of every month
- Ensure all personnel files for all the field office staff are kept updated following the prescribed checklist.
- Raise staff complaints to the coordination office in Kampala
- Coordinate Medical and Workman’s insurance for field staff in liaison with Kampala HR
- Ensure completion of the Field office timesheets and send to Kampala HR by 5th of the following Month
- Coordinate performance appraisal process and ensures all staff are appraised at the end of probation and at the end of year.
- Coordinate orientation process for all new staff at field level.
- Coordinate leave tracking and ensures that the tracker is sent to the Kampala HR Officer at the end of every month.
- Coordinate the exit and clearance process and ensure that all exiting staff have handed over DRC property and the exit forms sent to Kampala HR.
- Ensure that airtime for field staff is loaded monthly and timely. This is done in liaison with the Kampala Admin Officer.
- Responsible for all premises leases at field level and coordinates with the Admin officer in Kampala to ensure the field office has valid leases and that payments to the lessors are done in a timely manner.
- Ensure service contracts are respected and paid for according to agreed terms of payments.
- Support the implementation of DRC Uganda IT strategies in the field office
- Support the HR and Admin Assistant in the Guest House management.
- Ensure the field office is compliant to DRC operational handbook.
- Provide guidance on policy issues at field level in liaison with the Country Office.
- Provide overall oversight of the support departments by analyzing and ensuring they are working together to deliver services on timely manner.
- Responsible for rolling out existing and new support and operational tools, policies and ensures consistent application of the same in the field office
- Responsible for information management & sharing in the field office for information related to finance, administration, human resources, IT and procurement.
- Ensure coherent reporting is adhered to by all support departments for monthly cashbook reporting and departmental area performance indicators (API) reporting due to the country office by 5th of every month and any other ad hoc report requested from time to time.
- Build capacity and provide technical supervision of support functions in the field office
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Experience and technical competencies: -
- University degree in Accounting, Finance or related relevant field.
- A Master’s degree in a related field is an added advantage
- A professional qualification in Accounting or Finance
- 3 to 5 years' experience in Accounting, Finance or related field at a managerial level
- Experience in providing oversight of support functions (IT, Human Resources, Supply Chain, Administration)
- Experience in working with major donors (US Gvt; DFID, ECHO, UN Agencies) a distinct advantage
- Previous experience with Non-Governmental Organization in similar/related position is an asset;
- Previous working experience in refugee response is an asset;
- Experience in using an ERP software is an advantage;
- Good analytical skills and good command of English language.
- Good interpersonal, communication skills with proven experience in communicating with stakeholders at all levels;
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- Fluency in local languages would be an asset.
- A team player and the ability to work with minimum supervision;