This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Main responsibilities are to work under the leadership of the Head of Support Services in the following areas:
Planning and strategy: Work under the leadership of the HoSS to…
- Ensure that annual planning for support services is done and regular targets are met and that these are linked to the coordination unit for country-wide consistency
- Ensure that project planning includes relevant support service requirements (such as lead times and appropriate budgets)
- Ensure that resource mobilisation is realisitc and meets the needs of support functions, by using the operations budget to input to donor proposals
- Ensure that support services are fit for purpose to meet programme needs
- Be the focal point for the compliance self check, risk register, internal audit and results contract
HR support: Work under the leadership of the HoSS to support the Admin/HR Manager to…
- Ensure that monthly reports and produced and that targets are met by the department, while being a link to the HR coordination unit
- Ensure that quarterly tasks are completed on time (such as staff induction, Code of Conduct training and leave planning)
- Ensure that annual HR tasks are completed as per the Operations Handbook (e.g., Performance & Development Reviews)
- Streamline HR responses accross departments (e.g., support on organogram development)
- Ensure the HR team fulfils daily tasks, such as recruitment, contract renewal/ amendments, timesheet submission and leave tracking
Administration support: Work under the leadership of the HoSS to support the Admin/HR Manager to…
- Be the focal point for key administrative tasks, such as registration for the coordination unit
- Oversee the team to ensure follow up on routine tasks are carried out (guesthouse supplies, visa applications, phone credit purchase, utilities bill payments, rental and lease agreements)
Logistics and procurement support: Work under the leadership of the HoSS to support the Supply Chain Manager to…
- Ensure procurement procedures are followed while being the focal point for tenders together with the coordination unit (including being a chairman for most major tenders)
- Closely follow department KPIs and ensure that monthly report submissions are timely and of high quality
- Be a focal point and decision maker for fleet movement cancellations in line with LPM advice
- Work with the team to ensure each of the sub departments (procurement, fleet, assets, warehouse and IT) have targets and are meeting them, in line with Operation Handbook procedures
Finance: Work under the leadership of the HoSS to support the Finance Manager to…
- Conduct budget monitoring and forecasting for support service budgets
- Work with senior managers to budget monitor all grants
- Ensure that key annual finance tasks are completed (such as the annual reports)
- Work with finance to ensure programme teams clearly understand compliance requirements
- Ensure that monthly finance tasks are completed (payroll, SOS, PIT, cashbooks and cash forecasts) and in line with Operations Handbook procedures"
- Support the HoSS in ensuring strategic programming coherent with DRC’s operational platforms, coordinating DRC’s programme development, strengthening DRC’s programme quality, standards and learning, and enforcing DRC’s accountability and M&E frameworks.
- Represent DRC on behalf of the HoSS with authorities, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partner
- Function as HoSS during his/her absence
- Other deputising duties as agreed with the HoSS
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
Supervisor responsibilities: Support the HoSS to…
- Coordinate the daily actIvities of small teams, often comprised of subordinates and/or employees carrying out similar tasks
- Implements the manager’s decisions through the work of subordinate employees, often playing a role in deciding how to do it; and how to achieve the objective set by the manager.
Roles reporting to this position: As assigned by Head of Support Services
Required experience and competencies
- At least 5 years' experience in similar role
- At least 3 years' experience with people management
- Knowledge of project cycle management
- Knowledge of supply chain management and procurement processes
- Knowledge of budget cycle and monitoring processes
- Knowledge of code of conduct principles and the HR systems for performance management
- Knowledge of key donor policy and compliance procedures
- Full professional proficiency in English, with fluency in French desirable
- Ability to learn quickly, think flexibly and with a systems focus
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.