FAO, in collaboration with the Ministry of Forests and Environment (MoFE), implementing the TCP/NEP/3702 “Building capacities to improve and sustain forest health to enhance the resilience of forests and livelihoods of forest dependent communities” that supports Department of forest and soil conservation and forest research and training centre for improving their skill and knowledge for protecting the health of natural and planted forests.
The project aims to collect baseline data on IAS (invasive plants, insect pests and pathogens in natural and planted forests), raise awareness on the harmful effects of invasive plants, pests and pathogens among stakeholders, and implement training programs to enhance capacity to improve and sustain forest health and productivity.
To plan, coordinate and organize effective implementation of envisaged project outcome, output and activities
Under the overall supervision of FAO Representative in Nepal and Assistant FAOR (Program), direct technical supervision of Lead Technical Officer from FAO RAP, Forest Health Officer, FAO-HQ, TCDC expert and in close coordination and consultation with National Project Coordinator (NPC) from the Ministry of Forest and Environment of the Government of Nepal, the Consultant will be responsible to technically support in the design and implementation field surveys, various in-country trainings, technical consultation meetings, workshops as envisaged by the TCP description document.
The scope of the lead consultant/ Sustainable forest management specialist is seen to plan, coordinate and organize effective delivery of the project intervention in association with NPC, and shall provide technical support to baseline data collection on IAS (invasive plants, insect pests and pathogens in natural and planted forests), awareness raising on the harmful effects of invasive plants, pests and pathogens among stakeholders, and implement training programs to enhance capacity to improve and sustain forest health and productivity.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide support to NPC to prepare inception report along with a detailed plan of activities, budget, procedures, guidelines, RFP, ToRs for various project interventions envisaged in the prodoc;
- Under the guidance of LTO and HQ Technical Officer, review current management practices, strategies, institutional setup and approach to managing forest invasive species in Nepal;
- Together with the government team, undertake a structured consultation process involving relevant government officials and key stakeholders to identify key challenges and threats, impacts and damages caused forest invasive species, as well as gaps and constraints in managing forest invasive species
- Facilitate together with international TCDC consultant and LTO in the design and implementation of different capacity building programs related the management forest invasive species as well as provide support in the establishment of laboratory facilities;
- Coordinate with different service providers in the implementation of filed surveys and advocacy programs at various levels engaging different stakeholders;
- Assist the NPC in conducting technical working group meetings, project Steering/Advisory Committee meetings) and provide at provincial and local level monitoring and backstopping support for proper implementation of the project activities to meet the objectives;
- Provide support to LTO, HQ Technical Officer in the preparation of various technical and terminal reports;
- In consultation with LTO and HQ Technical Officer and based on the lesson learnt by the TCP during the course of its implementation, prepare draft project document for wider replication;
- Support FAO for the smooth flow of specific FAO technical inputs as envisaged by the TCP Description document;
- Assume any other tasks as deemed necessary by the project and FAO.
- National of Nepal
- University degree (at least master) in Forestry
- At least 7 years of experience in Sustainable forest management
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical/Functional Skills: The consultant shall have competency and demonstrated experience and expertise relevant to sustainable forest management
- Extent of relevant technical experience in the areas related
- Ability to manage and work with a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Experience in forest health, baseline data collection on IAS, awareness raising and conducting trainings
- Involvements in design and delivery of sustainable forest management.
- Good working relationship with the Government and relevant sectors