PURPOSE OF POSITION:
World Vision International’s Whole of Syria Office is seeking a qualified and highly motivated individual to proactively drive the consolidation, expansion and quality implementation of World Vision’s humanitarian response to the situation in Syria and inside Turkey.
Under the direction of the Syria Response Manager, the Head of Programmes will lead the teams of Programmes, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) and technical advisors to ensure high quality of programming, strong proposal designs that are in line with the Syria and Turkey response objectives and donor priorities and sound monitoring and evaluation systems in place. S/He will directly support Programs, MEAL and technical staff at area-office level collaborate with all other World Vision departments (Operations, Finance, Human Resources, Support Services, etc), liaise internally with the World Vision Partnership and with external stakeholders, and ensure all World Vision’s programs and proposals maintain high standards, in line with World Vision (WV) and international standards.
Syria & Turkey Program Strategy:
- Work closely with Syria Response Manager and collaboratively within WV to develop strategic workstreams, including but not limited to areas of operation, sectors, approaches, accountability etc.
- Ensure WV is positioned as one of the leading humanitarian actors in Syria and in Turkey, operating according to minimum standards in a conflict sensitive manner according to humanitarian principles.
Program Design and Quality Assurance:
- Ensure all core sectors have sector technical strategies in place, looking for opportunities to integrate. Ensure that these are accessible and well communicated internally.
- Ensure WV focusses on meeting the needs of the most vulnerable children in the Syria crisis (inside Syria and Turkey).
- Ensure WV Syria has an approach to inclusion that results in WV resources supporting those in most severe need,
- Ensure technical approaches and strategies are evidence based and linked to WV project models and child wellbeing.
- Ensure the quality, consistency, clarity, and strategy alignment of all proposals submitted.
- Ensure that the field teams are trained and receive required technical assistance for quality implementation of technical approaches and models relevant to the local context.
- Provide strategic management to technical expert team to ensure that the program standards are met and technical models are consistent with the strategic goals.
- Ensure that learning is incorporated into programme design.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Fully responsible for the implementation of the program monitoring system including external and internal reporting.
- Manage MEAL team to plan, implement, analyse and share findings from assessments and program monitoring.
- Ensure that MEAL team in sufficiently staffed and has the capacity to administer monitoring and evaluations of all projects in Syria and Turkey implementations areas.
- Support the strengthening of the contextual design and implementation of accountability mechanisms for programs in Syria, ensuring that the design of programs takes local capacities into account, builds on them and maximizes community participation.
- Assist with the development and support the implementation of community consultation and information provision mechanisms.
- Integrate data from complaints and feedback mechanisms into internal and external reporting.
- Ensure tracking of beneficiary numbers and easily analyzed data is available on request. Ensure data is turned into easily communicable information that can inform design and management changes.
- Ensure WV is compliant with data protection standards when managing beneficiary data.
- Ensure WV can undertake periodic total reach reporting, disaggregated by age, gender, area, sector etc.
- Compile and analyze relevant information to inform programme design, programme management, operational improvement and promote learning.
- Ensure learning is communicated clearly and succinctly to SMT/department heads.
Grant Acquisition and Management:
- Accountable for the design and development and submissions of proposals to donors in line with WV Syria and Turkey strategy. GAM Manager to lead process.
- Ensure the input from various WV departments for comprehensive programme design.
- Manage relationship with WV Support Offices, keeping them up to date and informed in a constructive collaborative relationship.
- Lead on pre-positioning with selected key donors for strategy and proposal alignment.
- Serve as donor focal point on funded grants.
- Monitor implementation of the grant, ensure the GAM team leads the Grant Health Tracker process, compile reports to donor and SO.
- Ensure grant management issues escalated to SMT for urgent action where appropriate, tracking action to get grant on track.
- Represent WV externally with SNGO, INGO, UN and donors, and proactively engage in WOS and Turkey coordination meetings as appropriate.
- Ensure that key staff have constructive strategically relationships with their appropriate counterparts (e.g. cluster, donor) and that the relationship is utilized for the benefit of WV and beneficiaries.
- Lead by example as member of SMT, working with other department heads to ensure a positive and constructive working environment within the office.
- Overall management and capacity building of GAM, MEAL and Technical staff. Direct line reports approx. 6, wider team 20-30.
- Link in with other SMT members/head of department to ensure that the wider team is trained and capacitated to provide appropriate inputs to the programs functions in their implementation activities.
- Serve as OIC in absence of Syria Response Manager, upon request.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Masters Degree in relevant area (Int’l Development, Humanities, Social Work, Business Administration, etc) OR Bachelor's degree with equivalent senior level work experience (4 years).
- Work experience in international relief and development in various geographical areas, or extensive experience in one area; 10 years +
- Prior senior leadership experience in a humanitarian organization.
- Proven track record acquiring and/or managing grants from UN, Private or Government agencies, institutional foundations or major individuals preferred.
- Field experience of managing MEAL related business processes and technical teams.
- Experience in program development and management, NGO fundraising and/or donor relations.
- Robust understanding of international humanitarian architecture and proven track record of achieving results through external engagement and collaboration.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience designing / implementing humanitarian programs in Syria.
- Understanding of the Whole of Syria coordination structure and systems, and a good grasp of the broader aid architecture.
- Strong writing skills with a focus on clarity, brevity and research.
- Monitoring and evaluation knowledge.
- Public speaking and meeting facilitation skills.
- Technically conversant in either Education, Health, Child Protection, WASH, Youth Empowerment, or Gender Equality.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, Google Platforms.
- Strong planning and time management skills.
- Design experience with communication materials.
- Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Syrian Crisis.
- Work experience in the Middle East.
- Arabic language skills (Preferred).