About the role
This is a 24 month, replacement role with accompanied terms based in Lilongwe, Malawi with a salary of Grade 5 €43,230 - €48,034.
You will report to the CD and will line manage all systems staff and work closely with programme staff.
We would like you to start in August 2018.
Your purpose: You are a member of the Senior Management Team and will lead the effective and efficient delivery of Concern’s programmes by managing the support systems required whilst following Concern Worldwide and donor policies and standards.
You will be responsible for:
- Reviewing procedures in all locations with periodic monitoring and support visits
- Carrying out logistics, admin and security assessments for all new programmes and establishing systems for new locations and interventions
- Managing information systems to monitor and report on the effectiveness and efficiency of Admin, HR, IT, transport and logistics
- Drafting of all external contracts to ensure consistency, clarity and minimize liability for Concern.
- Identifying and implementing potential savings and making recommendations to CMT.
- Preparing administration and transport budgets and track related expenditure. Proactive identification of issues for discussion with budget holders and CMT.
- Costing systems requirements for funding applications.
- Identifying all donor-specific system requirements to ensure compliance
- Line managing the Office Manager and capacity support of similar staff in other locations.
- ensuring adequate supplies, staffing and support systems are in place for all Concern’s premises
- Ensuring leases for premises are actively managed and contracts assessed
- Ensuring all issues related to government authorisations are managed proactively.
- Ensure all offices and international staff residences meet security, health and safety standards.
- Ensuring Concern is fully compliant with national employment legislation and requirements and global HR policies and procedures
- Ensuring staff are trained on Concern’s Code of Conduct (CoC), Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), Child Safeguarding and Anti-Trafficking in Persons policies. Ensure mechanisms to report and reduce potential for abuse are known to staff and are functioning effectively.
- Overseeing grievance and disciplinary procedures
- Management of Health Care provision for International staff
- Overseeing the logistics arrangements for visitors
- Leading salary and benefit review processes and ensuring results are analysed and shared with CMT and other staff as appropriate.
- Managing the Health Insurance provision for National Staff.
- Line managing the HR Officer
- Promoting a gender balance at all levels in the workforce.
- Agree targets with CMT for recruitment and ensure these are met.
- Ensuring an effective performance development review (PDR) system is in place and ongoing training is provided to line managers and staff.
- Identifying strategic training needs.
- Ensuring each systems team member understands what is expected of them.
- Monitoring and reviewing team performance; giving corrective feedback where required and taking decisive action in the case of poor performance.
- Ensuring cost effective maintenance of the Concern Worldwide fleet of vehicles.
- Ensuring accurate and timely transport reports and any recommendations to CMT.
- Assessing the transport requirements of the country programme on a regular basis and ensuring appropriate solutions are implemented
- Ensuring all offices adhere to the Transport and Fleet Management Policy.
Procurement and asset management
- Manage the Logistics and Procurement Officer (s).
- Ensuring efficient procurement of goods and services in a transparent and accountable manner, ensuring value for money for the organisation and justifiable use of donor funds.
- Preparing and overseeing an annual procurement plan for each programme.
- Establishing and maintaining a Pre-Qualified Suppliers list
- Training, supporting and checking personnel involved in procurement
- Leading on tendering, contracting and international procurement
- Ensuring a clear, well-documented paper trail in systems files
- Developing a multi-year plan for asset replacement (fleet and IT)
- Managing the fixed asset register.
- Ensuring all stores and assets are managed and accounted for in line with Concern and donor policies.
- Manage the IT Officer and arrange for work to be done by the Regional IT Officer.
- Ensuring Concern’s IT policy and procedures are understood and adhered to by all staff.
- Ensuring provision of effective support systems, enabling the smooth operation of IT systems and management of information (including the servers).
- Developing staff IT capacity, skills and confidence in using common software packages.
- Acting as Security Focal Point for Concern Worldwide and liaise with Security Focal Points from each field office.
- Supporting Security Focal Groups in each location and ensure they have the knowledge and information to operate successfully.
- Reviewing and updating of the Concern Worldwide Security Management Plan.
- Ensuring all new staff and visitors receive thorough security briefings
Your skills and experience will include:
- Relevant graduate qualification
- Five years’ experience in a systems/operations position with an international NGO, with two years at a senior level
- Management of diverse and multi-operational teams
- Previous work in a similar context
- Management of a diverse team of senior staff
- Working with major international donors and grants compliance requirements
- Specialist knowledge and experience in one area of systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to motivate others
- Delegation, time management and prioritizing skills
- Computer literate and good knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Excellent English
- Empathy with Concern’s mission, vision and goals, and our target group
- Proven experience in resource planning & budget management
- Experience in Tendering & contract management
We would also like:
- You to be flexible and reliable
- You to be culturally sensitive and empathic to others
- You to be able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines;
- You to have some sense of humour
- You to travel frequently to rural field locations and spend periods of time away from the capital in fairly basic conditions
- A ‘can do’ attitude