PURPOSE OF POSITION:
World Vision IT (WV IT) Mobility Device Management Services, a unit within the Global Technology Services, provides centralized management capabilities for all endpoints including mobiles, tablets, laptops and hybrid devices, keeping them updated and secure. Device management services enable the deployment of applications, modification of settings, and user wiping and resetting of the device in the event that it is lost or stolen. The unit is also responsible for defining standards for the digital workplace programme for the organization.
Systems Engineers will be responsible for installing, configuring, troubleshooting, patching, and managing BigFix on Windows. The engineer will also diagnose and troubleshoot problems with servers, software, and communications devices; as well as provide escalation support and assistance to technical support and junior administrators.
The candidate should also be able to:
- Support tickets relating to BigFix technical issues primarily and work other tickets as assigned.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures for BigFix application and agents.
- Makes business and technical recommendations for new initiatives.
- Interfaces with vendors to ensure appropriate resolution for BigFix and general patching issues on all systems.
- Develops and implements testing strategies and document results.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant hardware and software applications as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as required
This person must be able to work independently with little oversight. This role requires ability to handle stressful client situations and to provide clear direction on next steps. Practical experience in a consultant, technical sales, and/or support role is a plus.
- Systems Administrators and Engineers are responsible for the development and operations of secure and highly available global computing platforms. They design, install, maintain and upgrade the enterprise’s systems operating environment.
- They are also responsible for the ongoing reliability, performance and support of the infrastructure. This includes monitoring systems, responding to problems and planning for growth.
- Individuals design and build the systems operating environment and infrastructure to meet business requirements. This includes servers, storage, and backup media. They monitor and optimize the performance of operating systems and applications such as Web , Windows, Linux, VMware, Active Directory, DNS and DHCP. They maintain a secure systems environment by installing/maintaining security applications, managing access control mechanisms, and assigning user ids and passwords to authorize systems access. They also monitor automated system backup activities and execute contingency plans in case of system outages. Other responsibilities include providing operations support 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. They analyze console messages, diagnose system failures and take corrective action in order to ensure continuity of operations. This job family provides system backup processing, manages off-site storage and leads disaster recovery tests.
- System Administrators and Engineers need good communication skills and must be able to work collaboratively with system users and other technical colleagues. Individuals work across all functional areas of the enterprise and use a strong customer service orientation to ensure that all requests and problems are resolved in a professional manner. They share their expertise and provide individual training and support to users. Systems Administrators and Engineers work with other technical staff and vendors to provide IT services to all customers.
- Leads or consults in short- and long-term project planning efforts with team members, clients and other IT groups.
- Develops cost/time estimates.
- Documents discussion and agreements.
- Works with business analysts and clients to understand business needs.
- Determines requirements impact on existing architecture, work processes and systems.
- Works with impacted areas to ensure proper communication / review of requirements and integration.
- Determines infrastructure systems specifications, input/output processes and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility.
- Analyzes, designs, develops, and documents systems to meet business requirements.
- Coordinates design of subsystems and integration with larger systems.
- May coordinate development activities with other groups.
- Performs routine maintenance tasks for infrastructure systems such as backups, patch management and hot fixes.
- Assists in establishing requirements, methods and procedures for routine maintenance.
- Assists in the business process redesign and documentation as needed for new technology.
- Installs, configures, and maintains system hardware and software components.
- Maintains tracking and configuration documentation and plans.
- Validates configurations.
- Ensures performance meets the present and future needs of the business.
- Forecasts utilization patterns and identifies modifications or upgrades.
- Recommends changes/ enhancements for improved systems availability, reliability and performance.
- Designs, plans and leads testing efforts and coordinates feedback of test results.
- Develops cases test files.
- Conducts testing to ensure requirements are met.
- Continuous Improvements:
- Recommends performance metrics.
- Analyzes operational metrics to understand performance and to ensure success in process improvements.
- Assists in establishing requirements, methods and procedures for routine operational processes.
- Provides Level 3 production support.
- Diagnoses escalated problems or escalates, when needed.
- Investigates alternative methods to expedite problem resolution.
- Recommends procedures and controls for problem resolution or creates temporary solutions until permanent solutions can be implemented.
- Researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any problems.
- Reviews checklists and scripts.
- Makes recommendations to improve security and participates in investigations as needed.
- Adheres to security requirements.
- Participates in the implementation of contingency plans including reliable backup and restore procedures.
- Participates in the identification of vulnerabilities and their mitigation.
- Verifies that system backups run successfully.
Policies, Procedures and Standards:
- Supports and helps establish systems environment standards.
- Works with auditors, security groups, and data owners to make sure of governance, regulations, and compliance to policies and procedures.
- Defines procedures for user access to systems environment.
- Maintains system operating procedures and documentation.
Service Level Agreements (SLAs):
- Assists in developing SLA’s.
- Documentation/User Guides:
- Documents new or modified functions, modules, test activities/results and other areas such as error handling and backup/ recovery procedures.
- Ensures all documentation is delivered according to specified guidelines and on selected media.
- Proofreads documents for accuracy.
- Supports and participates in the formal reporting of project status.
- Provides coaching and guidance to team members.
- Evaluates future technologies and makes recommendations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated success in design and/or implementation, deployment of a IBM BigFix in a large, complex, and/or multi-product integration.
- Hands on experience with administering and monitoring BigFix production environment.
- Manage the BigFix structure and hierarchy for domains and sites.
- Minimum 7 years of direct experience with vulnerability and patch management and operating systems hardening products (e.g., IBM BigFix, Windows Server Update Services, InTune).
- Accountable for setting a standardized framework across all BigFix environments (custom properties, fixlet relevancy standards, site standards, configuration settings, etc.)
- Develop processes and capabilities to support decentralized BigFix management.
- Provide leadership on solution architecture, design, and implementation, ensuring it is in accordance with WV requirements.
- Minimum 7 years of knowledge of compliance and inventory platforms.
- Strong knowledge of supporting MS tools (MDT, SCCM, SCOM, DNS, networking, storage, clustering).
- Operations experience in a variety of server based operating system - MS Server 2008 and above.
- Minimum 5 of customer facing experience.
- Familiar with security best practices and methodologies.
- Experience with scripting and knowledge of multiple languages (Perl, PHP, Python).
- Typically requires 5-7 years of relevant information technology work experience and relevant basic networking experience.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally, as necessary.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English.