IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position
IREX seeks qualified Teacher Training Expert candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded comprehensive teacher training program in Liberia to improve early childhood education and primary education teachers’ quality and instructional delivery. The Senior Technical Advisor will be based in Monrovia and will provide high-quality technical inputs to strengthen teacher preparation institutions, build critical skills for quality teaching, and improve the enabling environment for teacher practice.
Summary of Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party, create a vision for a comprehensive teacher training program based on consultations with universities, teachers, school principals and staff, and other relevant government stakeholders
- Design, develop, and manage activities related to: teacher training, professional development, and mentoring/coaching for teachers in areas such as effective pedagogical techniques; experiential/hands-on learning methods including practicums; curriculum design; content knowledge advancement; academic quality standards; educational material development; and professional English
- Develop work plans, lead implementation of teacher training and professional development activities, and ensure the program adaptively responds to changes in the operating environment to meet the desired objectives
- Manage and supervise a team of technical support staff
- Facilitate inclusive and gender-sensitive processes and approaches, engaging local organizations and institutions; experience developing and delivering educational programming and services to diverse constituencies with a particular focus on those with disabilities preferred
- Develop and maintain relationships with key government officials at the national and local level, higher education institutions, teacher training institutions, other donors and implementers, program beneficiaries, teacher networks, and other stakeholders
- Ensure that training and program activities are high quality, effective, and customized to the needs and realities of ECE and primary grade teachers
- Oversee technical activities of local partner organizations, provide coaching to ensure a focus on relevant activities and achieving outcomes
- Contribute to monitoring, evaluation, and learning; project communications; and project reporting
- Other duties, as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Liberian citizenship or residency with work authorization is required
- Master’s degree in Education, Education Administration, Human Resource Management, Human Capital, Organizational Development, or a related field is preferred and minimum of eight (8) years of experience in integrated teacher training services, or a bachelor’s degree with at least ten (10) years of relevant experience;
- A deep understanding of the teacher training, ECE and primary education landscape in Liberia, including with local governments, higher education institutions, schools, and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) providing teacher training services
- Demonstrated experience in managing teacher training programs, with the ability to demonstrate outcomes
- Prior experience providing technical assistance and/or coaching to local organizations/institutions on teacher training
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills including conflict resolution abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including governments, private sector, higher educational institutions, schools, donors, etc.
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- A commitment to, and vision for how teaching training and professional development programs can be improved
- Commitment to inclusive programming that encourages full participation of individual regardless of gender, disability status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or other marginalized status
- Must be fluent in local language, with working proficiency in English.