Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Procurement Division, Office of Supply Chain Management, Department of Operational Support.
The Department of Operational Support was established to provide operational advisory services to operating entities across the Secretariat, including other departments, offices away from headquarters, field missions, and regional commissions. The Office of Supply Chain Management includes the Logistics Division, the Procurement Division, the Uniformed Capabilities Support Division, Global Service Center, Aviation Safety Section and the Enabling and Outreach Service.
The mandate of the Procurement Division is to provide responsive, effective, and quality expert procurement services and business advice to United Nations (UN) Headquarters, field missions, and other UN organizations, while achieving best value for money, ensuring a competitive, fair and transparent process in accordance with established regulations, rules and procedures.
The incumbent will report to a Team Leader in the Aviation Transportation & Logistics Section under the overall supervision of the Chief of Section.
Within limits of delegated authority and depending on location, Team Assistant at this level may be responsible for the following duties:
- Performs a wide range of office support and administrative functions.
- Responds or drafts responses to routine correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
- Monitors processes and schedules related the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
- Researches, compiles and organizes information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
- Generates a variety of standard statistical and other reports, work orders, etc., using various databases.
- Proofreads documents and edits texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format.
- Screens phone calls and visitors; responds to moderately complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answers requests requiring file search, etc.), and as necessary, refers inquiries to appropriate personnel for handling.
- Provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, boards, committees, conferences, etc.
- Assists in the maintenance of websites by scanning, converting and posting a variety of documents onto the site.
- Assists in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Maintains calendar/schedules; monitors changes and communicates relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Performs data entry and extraction functions.
- Reviews, records, distributes and/or processes mail and other documents; follows-up on impending actions.
- Updates and maintains large distribution lists; monitors, prepares and distributes various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; handles arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinates shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
- Performs general administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.).
- Maintains files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
- Assists in providing software and office equipment support.
- Provides guidance to less experienced staff on general office processes and procedures, computer applications, etc.
- Assists with customs clearance process, duty exemption documentations and coordination of delivery of imported cargo to UNHQ.
- Assists in updating of freight forwarding vendor lists and assists in keeping ERP systems (e.g. Umoja Transport Management) updated
- Assists in conducting market surveys.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in procurement, contract administration, administration or a related field is required.
- Experience in a procurement or commercial office environment is desirable.
- Experience in enterprise resource planning (ERP) related to the procurement process is desirable.
- Experience in national or international logistic support operations is desirable.
- Experience in transportation, freight-forwarding or customs clearance processes is desirable.
- Experience in general office support or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.