Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Team Assistant’s duties and accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Operational and administrative support
• Use desktop processing skills to produce complex texts, reports, presentations, charts, figures, graphs, etc., according to Bank format and distribution.
• Collect and input data provided by Task Team Leaders into the central database, including processing new project status reports.
• Keep abreast of the Organization’s directives and ensure effective processing of all project documents.
• Draft correspondence (standard letters, memos, faxes, etc.) conforming to the Organization’s regional standards, using proper grammar, punctuation and style and proofread materials;
• Draft minutes of meetings and provide assistance in editing large documents.
• Maintain up-to-date divisional project files (both paper and electronic) and retrieve data from various sources and compile these for use by the Country Director and/or the Country Management Unit (CMU).
Information Management and Client interaction
• Answer internal and external queries on the assigned portfolio or, as necessary, take accurate and comprehensive telephone messages, and route them to appropriate persons to handle.
• Maintain current distribution lists, phone/address lists of project/product contacts, and distribute documents for the team.
• Co-ordinate with service units, and liaise frequently with team members both in Washington and in the Country Office;
• Track and report on appropriate aspects of the Team’s operational activities
Time management & Logistic planning
• Co-ordinate time management and schedules, taking current and future priorities into account, anticipate and monitor changes, and communicate the information;
• Track assigned tasks/project steps/ timetables using modern office management technologies, coordinate with relevant staff, provide assistance and/or information on project-related matters;
• Solve non-routine problems creatively and resourcefully and assist in preparation and logistical planning for various events, e.g. conferences, workshops, negotiations, board presentation and signing, etc.
• Serve as a back-up to other staff and Task Team Assistants on project and administrative tasks.
• Occasionally perform Analytical tasks as may be requested by the Team Leader
Among other criteria, the successful candidate should be holding / having:
• BTS or University degree (BAC+2) preferably in Secretarial Studies or Office Management or Business Administration
• A minimum of Three (3) years relevant work experience in a large International or Service or Private Sector Organization;
• Proficiency in using advanced functions on Bank standard computer applications (Windows applications: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
• Knowledge of and ability to execute diverse work procedures related to the timely processing and production of assigned outputs and supporting administrative activities;
• Applied knowledge of Bank’s organization, procedures and practices, including Bank records management and filing procedures;
• Thorough knowledge of work procedures in assigned work unit;
• Demonstrated use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipate next steps; and to follow through on team priorities in the absence of the team leader and respond to requests for information;
• Ability to pass relevant Bank tests (e.g. English language, computer applications, etc.) as required;
• Committed, dedicated and team player with ability to deal tactfully and effectively with staff and clients in a multi-cultural environment;
• Proficient French / English skills (verbal and written), including ability to draft routine correspondence and edit materials using proper grammar, punctuation and style;
• Effective time management and organizational skills;
• Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure.