OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objective of the programme is to contribute to the prevention and control of vaccine-preventable diseases (VPD), with focus on measles elimination, rubella/congenital rubella syndrome control, the polio end-game, and elimination of maternal and neonatal tetanus. To establish sustainable systems of (a) immunization that ensures access for all people to effective vaccination against disease of major public health importance; and (b) surveillance as an integral part of disease control initiatives. To promote vaccine quality assurance from production through delivery, including development of new vaccines
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of Technical Officer (Measles), and broad guidance of the Team Leader-IVD, the incumbent provides office support for the smooth running of the programme/unit in the following areas:
- Assist in procuring supplies and equipment by compiling and consolidating requests received from time to time from the regional and country offices;
- Provide funding details and assist in processing the request for submission to PCS
- Coordinate with the PCS for the processing of supplies and equipment requisitions.
- Compile and periodically update the inventory/listing of procurements executed at SEARO as well other items (including their purchase details)
- Maintain an inventory of supplies and equipment and appropriate reports to monitor procurement details and deliveries.
- Assists in supply monitoring as a part of overall programme monitoring
- Coordinate with Budget Office/SEARO and Country Offices for effective and efficient use of funds.
Programme implementation and monitoring: Assist in programme monitoring, implementation and reporting through regular review of budgets, resources and expenditure using WHO financial and accounting systems on brief instructions/guidance;
- Prepare standard correspondence in conformity with WHO standards, reports in MS Excel and power point presentations etc. as required.
- Assist in maintaining a sound filing system for easy retrieval of background materials as per requirement of the IVD Unit.
- Assist in organizing the country and intercountry meetings - preparing budget estimates, organizing planning committee meeting, obtaining clearances, seeking nominations, sending invitations, making travel arrangements, hotel accommodations and other related work.
- Prepare document folders for meetings and travel and assist in preparation, finalization and dissemination of meeting reports.
- Receive visitors and telephone calls, answering queries and\or redirecting them to appropriate staff providing background information on purpose of appointment.
- Replace Executive Assistant during absences (if applicable); perform other related duties as required or instructed, including provision of support to other areas of work.
- Essential: Completion of secondary school education
- Desirable: Training in procurement modules/practices, finance and computer related courses. University degree is an asset.
- Essential: Minimum of three years' experience in procurements
- Desirable: Experience in WHO or in another UN/International organization would be an advantage.
Skills: Thorough knowledge of modern office procedures and practices. The incumbent keeps abreast of changes in procedures and practices, rules and regulations, organizational structure, in the department, and WHO.Ability to draft standard correspondence;Ability to handle work in a timely and accurate manner with tact and discretion, as required.Ability to maintain and update knowledge in the use of office technology through in-house courses, on-the-job training and/or self-training
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.