Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank Group serves 30 client countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (LCR). Clients range from large rapidly growing sophisticated middle-income countries to IDA countries to small Caribbean states to one fragile state. Despite immense resources, dynamic societies, and an average annual per capita income of about $4,000, deep inequalities persist in most LCR countries, with nearly a quarter of the Region's people living in poverty. The Bank's strategy in LCR is structured around two pillars and four cross-cutting themes. The first pillar aims at supporting the foundations for inclusive growth, and the second at investing in human capital and protecting the poor. The global themes focus on strengthening institutions and governance, promoting economic integration, ensuring social and environmental sustainability, and introducing appropriate risk management considerations in the design and implementation of development strategies. Operationally, the program consists of 222 operations under implementation with US$28.8 billion in commitments, and 200+ knowledge products.
COUNTRY UNIT CONTEXT
The LC5 Country Management Unit (CMU) is responsible for Bank operations in Brazil, and is composed of a decentralized office in Brasilia, where the Country Director (CD) is based, and an Anchor Office at Headquarters. The CMU is managed by the Country Director who is supported by an Operations Manager and three Program Leaders.
Brazil is one of the largest countries on the planet, the seventh largest economy in the world and traditionally one of the World Bank Group’s top five borrowers. After more than a decade of inclusive growth with significant gains in poverty reduction, the decline in commodity prices exposed underlying structural and fiscal weaknesses and forced a sharp economic adjustment. The resulting deep recession with cumulative losses in GDP per capita of close to 8 percent between 2014-2016 is putting Brazil’s social gains at risk and motivating a rethink of Brazil’s state-led and inward-looking development model.
Role & Responsibilities :
- The selected candidate will be assigned to work as an assistant to the World Bank office in Brasilia, and mainly to provide administrative support to the Senior Admin Officer, as well as for tasks associated to the Unit’s overall work program. The Team Assistant’s duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide comprehensive administrative assistance to the Senior Administrative Officer. The Team Assistant will assume primary responsibility for organizing and coordinating the workflow of messengers and drivers under Senior AO supervision.
- Coordinating general office administration: help oversee delegated activities of the unit. Work program is determined by the Unit’s business needs and the Senior AO’s own work program requirements. The TA will contribute to the smooth operation of the office administration work and related systems by assuming responsibility for organizing and coordinating workflow in order to better meet the clients’ demands.
- The TA should also establish effective working relationships with counterparts in other Bank units, actively fostering open communication and a teamwork environment to ensure smooth operation of ongoing office administrative functions including, space, equipment, working environment and information retrieval systems. Actively foster cooperation and teamwork through effective delegation and regular discussion and review of issues with staff.
- Coordinate CMU Admin Procurement, Contracts and Processes: Ensure provision of specialized support (e.g., database management, knowledge management, task management, major event/course planning, etc.); coordinate local office administrative requests, monitor budget related to administrative contracts.
- Monitor General Services Team and Security for Brazil CMU : Assist Senior Admin Officer on delivering security assessment to IRS residences prior to rental and on Office Security related tasks.
- IRS Relocation Processes for Brazil CMU : Support relocating staff and families, in coordination with Global Mobility & Relocation Services and Senior Administrative Officer; establish contact with third-party vendor, so called Destination Services Provider (DSP), to provide IRS with on-the-ground relocation support customized to their needs; feed and update Global Mobility Portal for IRS to get acquainted with their new duty station; establish contact with local lawyer on housing rental contracts for expatriate staff; liaise with WBG Security Specialist and UNDSS for the Residential Security Survey prior to house clearance.
- The team assistant will also provide cross-support and back-up support to other sectors in the office, on an on-demand basis.
- Minimum Education/Experience: High school diploma plus 3 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Verbal and written proficiency in English and Portuguese .
- Ability to retrieve reference materials from various sources (e.g. databases, filing systems, Internet, etc.).
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with utmost discretion.
- Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure.
- Committed, self-motivated team player with good inter-personal skills, and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- The selected candidate may be required to work flexible hours.
- Technology and systems knowledge: Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.). Ability and willingness to maintain knowledge and skills up-to-date as technology and workflow change.
- Project and task management: Good organizational skills, and ability to work capably with minimal supervision in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment; ability to identify and resolve routine and non-routine issues; ability to work well under pressure and in stressful situations. Able to select task and project delivery process and schedule, and manage multiple tasks within tight deadlines; willingness to do what it takes to get a task completed within the agreed schedule. Orientation to detail and quality; ability to independently conduct quality control of own work (review for accuracy, fulfillment of relevant requirements, etc.).
- Institutional policies, processes, and procedures: Knowledge of own unit/department's programs and products, and how they fit into the mission of the WB; knows key players, understands own role and value added to the team and to the organization. Displays good understanding of WB policies and procedures relevant to the area of assigned responsibilities, and is able to apply and implement them with minimal supervision.
- Versatility and adaptability: Demonstrates flexibility and is receptive to the implementation of new solutions. Demonstrates willingness to avail and adapt oneself to effecting change. Demonstrates willingness to undertake tasks that stretch his or her capability.
- Lead and Innovate: Proactively identifies problems or obstacles in area of assigned responsibility. Considers own behavior in context of WBG's values and mission. Understands and displays flexibility to adapt to department needs.
- Deliver Results for Clients: Displays a positive and professional service-orientation in client interactions. Demonstrates understanding of department's key programs and/or products and how they are related to the larger organization. Prioritizes requests and/or tasks according to highest impact for clients.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Actively collaborates with others in own team and displays an open, helpful attitude. Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Includes others in own work and thinking. Considers the impact of work on WBG.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge: Demonstrates initiative in building and growing own skills. Understands own knowledge and learning gaps. Takes feedback constructively.