Save the Children is seeking an experienced Chief of Party/Team Leader/Project Director for an anticipated DFID-funded 5-year resilience programme. The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead an innovative and strategically important programme at the cutting edge of resilience in Malawi, with the goal of reducing extreme poverty and ending the recurrent cycle of hunger and humanitarian assistance.
The programme will work at multiple levels - household, community, district and up to central government. The Team Leader will need to ensure the programme can effectively contribute to strengthening policy coherence and donor co-ordination between social protection and humanitarian programming, and improving the evidence base against which future investment decisions can be made as a country.
As such this position is a high profile in Malawi and potentially internationally, seeking to learn from and build on best practices and develop evidence-based innovative resilient livelihoods.
The Team Leader is responsible for providing leadership, strategic direction and operational management of the programme, and is directly accountable for ensuring achievement of the programme deliverables.
The Team Leader's responsibilities include satisfying all contractual obligations, ensuring work is delivered on time and within budget, ensuring the quality of the programme, direct deliverables, and technical assistance provided, and guaranteeing robust monitoring and evaluation of interventions.
The Team Leader is expected to be a highly qualified professional with strong experience in programme management, team leadership, technical assistance and DFID contract management.
In order to be successful you will bring/be:
- A minimum of 12 years' experience working in international humanitarian and/or development aid, preferably with strengthening resilience of poor and vulnerable households to shocks and stresses, food security and livelihood programming and at least 5 or more years in a senior management leadership position
- Previous experience as Team Leader/Project Director, or Deputy Team Leader/Project Director
- Proven ability to manage large and complex contracts with substantial experience of managing multi-agency/partner programmes
- Knowledge and understanding of the DFID results agenda
- Prior management experience of DFID-funded programs, including payment by results contracts
- Thorough understanding of Value for Money, and its incorporation into programme design, management, and adaptation
- Demonstrable record of accomplishment of meeting or exceeding programme targets, while maintaining technical quality
- Ability to represent Save the Children and the programme at a strategic level and engage and influence key stakeholders at all levels
- Demonstrated experience of working with national level government structures, national NGOs and/or local communities Self-motivated and results orientated
- Highly proficient with demonstrable experience of data analysis and reporting tools
- Experience in management of finance and budget monitoring and risk management
- Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent with strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Substantial experience of guiding and leading strong teams in a multicultural context with a focus on coaching and mentoring
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
- Commitment to Save the Children's aims, values and principles.
- Post-graduate qualification in social science, international development, or other relevant discipline
- Substantial experience of working and living in the region, ideally with professional experience in country.
- Technical experience in strengthening resilience of poor and vulnerable households to shocks and stresses, food security and livelihood programming