Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified individual to fill-in the vacancy of Team Leader - Livelihoods to work in Damascus under employment contract
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been actively operating in Syria since 2008 mainly supporting refugees. In June 2012, DRC was authorized by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to expand its humanitarian efforts and provide assistance to IDPs and the vulnerable resident population countrywide. Since then, DRC activities have been focused on NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Protection, Education, Livelihoods and Mine Risk Education in six Governorates (Damascus, Rural Damascus, Dara'a, Aleppo, Hama, and Homs). While Protection/community service activities are provided to beneficiaries throughout our six Community Centers.
About the job:
Operationalize DRC Syria’s Livelihoods Strategy in the DRC areas of implementation, focusing on: multiple governorates, projects/donors, and partnerships.
This position is based in Damascus with frequent field visits to Rural Damascus & Dara’a
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute field knowledge and experience to strategy development process
- Follow the strategy, communicate to field staff
- Proposal development: narrative, budget, logframe
- Contribute inputs to proposal development process
- Contribute to preparation for regular grant review meetings
- Contribute to budget realignments when required
- Understand donor requirements and apply within activity implementation, including communication to field staff.
- Lead in developing and updating work/implementation plans for allocated targets
- Implement workplans in close liaison with field team members
- Consolidate reporting inputs; communicate systematic reporting schedule to field staff
Planning expenditure and procurement:
- Consolidate, adhere to, and regularly update spending plans/ forecasts, and procurement plans ; alert PM when deviating from plan.
Delivery of targets:
- Understand targets and communicate to field staff; timely communication with PM when deviating from agreed targets (+/-)
Compliance with DRC’s administrative, logistics & procurement & financial SOPs:
- Familiarise with, understand and apply SOPs
- Disseminate to/ advise field staff on compliance
- Raise feedback/ issues to PM when SOPs are not working, with proposed solution/s
- Conduct and feedback on field visits on timely and regular basis
- Implement monitoring system and tools, including regular update of Results Trackers and information management system
- Amend implementation based on feedback elicited through monitoring and agreed changes with PM
- Advise and supervise field staff on use of beneficiary assessment and selection tools
- Adhere to selection criteria in implementation of activities, support selection processes e.g. panels.
- Ensure completed paper beneficiary assessment and selection tools are consolidated electronically, including on information management system
Evaluation, learning and research:
- Participate in evaluation exercises and research exercises
- Understand evaluation objectives and communicate to field staff/ activities/ beneficiaries which/who may be evaluated
- Ensure documentation is up to date and systematically organised to enable access by evaluators
- Document lessons learned at project junctures
- Ensure that the learnings are applied in activity implementations and designs
- Manage field staff, coach, and provide feedback on regular basis
- In coordination with PM, plan recruitment in timely manner; cooperate with and follow up on shortlisting, testing, interviewing, offering, contracting
- Keep ongoing record of performance evaluation and development material, raise capacity building needs, actively take part in/ facilitate training opportunities
- Day to day coordination with Ops departments and Programme colleagues
- Raise challenges to PM when support is not provided appropriately/timely manner
External representation and coordination:
- Deputise for, as required, cooperation/liaison with: coordination with donors; INGOs and LNGOs; Ministry partners
About you: To be successful in this role we expect you to have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, development, or similar relevant education.
- Minimum three years of experience with NGO in related activities/projects in Syria.
- Minimum two years experience in coordinating Livelihoods activities in a position of senior responsibility.
- Fluency in both spoken and written Arabic and English languages
- Excellent computer skills, including Excel.