Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager is seeking a Team Leader based in Odisha, India, to be responsible for leadership and successful implementation of a donor-funded program focusing on improving the profitability and sustainability of farmer producer organizations. The Team Leader will execute a vision for establishing FPOs as a viable business model in India. The Team Leader will be responsible for ensuring the project is delivered on time, on target, and on budget. The Team Leader will ensure that all project activities are carried out in accordance with the donor contract and proposal, and in alignment with all donor and Tanager regulations and policies. The Team Leader will also be responsible for facilitating recruitment, training and retention of project staff, budget management, monitoring of project activities, developing and strengthen linkages with private enterprises and collaborating with appropriate government departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as Program Manager for a donor-funded program; responsible for strategic leadership, day-to-day quality control of project activities, technical oversight, employee management, and the overall implementation of the program in accordance with the awarded contract and approved proposal. They will guide the entire project with a clear, consistent, and committed vision.
- Oversee the external partnership(s) and contract(s) with subaward partners responsible for supporting government agencies
- Review and ensure quality content – specifically, the quality of written annual programmatic reports outlining progress towards meeting activity deliverables and targets as well as any lessons learned, success stories, and upcoming external facing communications
- Ensure that the program submits regular reports, work plans, and any other deliverables to the donor and Tanager’s HQ according to agreed upon formats following the project’s reporting schedule
- Provide technical leadership regarding the development of sustainable farmer producer organization models
- Maintain positive and dynamic relationships with the donor, subaward partner, program participants, and local partners
- Lead the development, implementation, and monitoring & evaluation of appropriate training materials and modules for project staff and project beneficiaries on good agricultural practices (GAP), marketing, and farmer producer organization/company (FPO/FPC)
- Develop, maintain, and adapt project workplans alongside other Tanager staff members in India and in DC on proposals, contracts, and project implementation results
Administration and Supervision
- Support human resources department during the project’s recruitment phases; develop as well as manage all staff and consultants working on the program, in accordance with sound management practices, Tanager’s Employee Manual, and in compliance with Indian Labor laws
- Promote a productive, professional, and safe working environment
- Conduct annual performance evaluation process for program staff and additionally conduct evaluations for direct reports under the guidance of the Director of Human Resources.
- Ensure that salary and promotion decisions are conducted fairly and in accordance with Tanager’s Employee Manual and other relevant policies and procedures
- Ensure that all program contracts are competed, issued, and managed in accordance with Tanager’s Procurement policies and practices
- Coordinate with Tanager HQ based Technical Director and Program Coordinator on a regular basis to discuss program accomplishments, activities, potential issues, as well as identify synergies with the program and other Tanager initiatives for new business development
- Foster a team culture that embodies Tanager’s values and strives for shared success, joint accountability, and commitment to achieving project deliverables – on time, on target, and on budget
- Review and approve time sheets, travel authorizations, TGERs, leave requests, and advances
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Coordinate efforts to support Tanager’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) department in establishing an M&E system to track indicators on the program’s results framework further ensuring quality and timely data collection, interpretation, and reporting
- Oversee the timeliness and quality of baseline, mid-line, and end-line surveys (whether conducted internally and or externally
Networking and Linkages
- Establish and maintain linkages with community organizations, local agencies, and service provider(s)
- Cultivate relationships with government departments to coordinate project participants’ access to various government support schemes
- Identify and assist in coordinating relevant workshops for project staff and project participants to participate in that are relevant to and would further contribute to the success of the program
- Establishing/Strengthening FPO/FPC
- Build FPO/FPC capacity to provide better market access, services, and price realization for its members
- Build the capacity of FPO/FPC board members and committee members to improve governance, business planning, financial management, marketing, etc.
- Support FPO/FPCs to explore alternative business opportunities for increased and diverse revenue stream
- Review monthly financial and project reporting and advance request(s) before submission to Tanager HQ, ensuring strict adherence to Tanager’s Field Financial Manual, contract stipulations, and other relevant policies and regulations
- Monitor program budget and projections to ensure that expenditures are within approved budget parameters
- Contribute to preparation of as-needed budget revisions as well as forecasts of expenditures with support from field-based accountant and in coordination with Tanager HQ
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- S., M.B.A., or other post-graduate degree in agricultural economics, business administration, rural development, agriculture, or other relevant technical fields
- M.S., M.B.A., or other post-graduate degree in agricultural economics, business administration, rural development, agriculture, or other relevant technical fields
- Minimum 8 years of relevant and progressive work in Odisha, with at least 4 years in a supervisory role
- Demonstrated leadership of a gender balanced and ethnically inclusive professional environment.
- Experience working with agricultural market systems, rural producers, farmers’ associations, agribusinesses, private sector agricultural production, marketing, or sales, and/or governments.
- Demonstrated experience building organizational capacity of FPOs and government counterparts alike
- Knowledge of donor-funded project management is required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, strong negotiation, diplomacy, and teamwork skills
- Fluency in English, written and oral, required
- Proven management skills in complex environments, with a large staff from variety of ethnic backgrounds
- Adaptable and innovative. Collaborative and open to feedback. Able to work independently and in a team setting
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Must be willing and able to travel to project sites as needed