Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
1. Investment Component to improve the physical infrastructure in the wastewater and water supply sector.
• Rehabilitation of existing wastewater treatment plants;
• Construction of new wastewater treatment plants and associated regional wastewater collection systems
• Expansion of existing wastewater collection systems if this enables the capacity utilization ratio of existing wastewater treatment plants to be improved, if necessary including house connections;
• Rehabilitation and expansion of existing drinking water treatment plants;
• Rehabilitation and restructuring of existing pipes and drinking water supply systems, if necessary including house connections.
2. Technical Assistance (TA) Component to strengthen the technical and financial capacities of the HCWW (Client) and the Affiliate Companies (ACs).
CDM Smith would support the Client in planning, tendering the investment projects and ensuring the quality of their IWSP II investment projects. We will also support the Programme Implementation Units (PIUs) in executing all program management activities for which they are responsible such as technical and financial program management and supervision, technical and financial reporting. Furthermore, we will also support capacity building in the Clients in order to improve their operational and financial efficiency
The Consultant’s main tasks comprise:
Work Package 1:
a) Assess the current situation in the Clients and prepare detailed work planning;
b) Support the implementation and operation of the Client’s “Programme Implementation Units” (PIUs);
c) Monitor and report on the Clients performance (implementation, performance, log-frame indicators, etc;
d) Improve the Clients business planning, budgeting and controlling systems;
e) Improve the Clients performance measuring system;
f) Enhance the Clients operational and financial efficiency;
g) Improve the Client’s public relations and public communication;
h) Prepare quarterly reports for the clients
Work package 2:
a) Prepare preliminary and detailed designs, ESIAs and cost estimates for the selected investment projects;
b) Carry out procurement of works, goods and services (tendering, assignment of works contracts, assignment of local supervision consultants if the Consultant does not supervise the construction himself);
c) Supervise the local supervision consultants or carry out the construction supervision;
d) Authorize payments for contractors and consultants;
e) Support and control the defects liability period after physical implementation;
f) Impose occupational health and safety standards on the construction sites;
The estimated duration of the consultant’s services is 4 years plus two optional years.
• Fluency in English required.
• Arabic knowledge preferred.
Amount of Travel:
• Presence on site required during project.
• Fluency in English required;
• 15 years’ professional working experience in water and wastewater engineering;
• 10 years of international work experience;
• 8-10 years of experience in construction supervision for projects involving water and wastewater structures (plants & networks);
• 8-10 years (and FIDIC) experience should be with FIDIC works contracts;
• Regional/Country experience, including willingness to live and work in remote locations (Upper Egypt).
• Degree in civil engineer or similar (Master’s degree would be preferable).
• Experience as Client’s Representative and claims management would be preferred.