At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42 -year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
The Team Leader will provide operational oversight and technical leadership for an upcoming DFID transparency and accountability project and will serve as the project’s primary liaison with the donor and relevant project stakeholders.
The project will support an issue-based approach to accountability by bringing together reformers in government, civil society, private sector, politicians and others who have an interest in positive change. Possible examples of issues the project could tackle include addressing blockages in maize (and other agricultural) markets; improving water supply in peri-urban areas; improving drug procurement; and tackling deforestation.
The project will support improved policy and regulation of markets for more inclusive growth, more efficient / effective allocation of budgets and more politicians seeking legitimacy based on performance and policies rather than personal networks.
The project will have a strong focus on transparency and use different tools to track use of budgets in these areas at local levels, and it will deliver short-term results in terms of better services or increased incomes, but ultimately it will seek to use these issues to bring about policy or institutional changes in the way of doing business.
This position is contingent upon award.
- Responsible for the overall technical direction of the project and overall management of the project, providing leadership to the project team to ensure high quality management to achieve project results.
- Oversee training and mentoring of partners to promote the appropriate use of participatory and community-based approaches in assessments, analysis, planning and monitoring and response.
- Serve as Pact’s liaison to the donor, partners, relevant private sector actors, the Government of Malawi, and other key stakeholders for the project.
- Oversee project planning (i.e., development of work plans and operating budget) and reporting (i.e., review and approve periodic budgets and reports).
- Manage the budget to meet expected results, ensuring cost-effective use of Pact and donor resources.
- Ensure that Pact provides high-quality technical assistance to local partners; conduct regular monitoring and mentoring visits to local partners.
- Ensure that donor and Pact reporting requirements on project impact are met. Oversee project staff in helping partners establish reporting and tracking systems to provide key information in an efficient and timely manner.
- Ensure close coordination with other relevant initiatives in-country.
- Provide regular written/oral project progress updates as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least 5 year of experience managing DFID contracts.
- At least 10 years of experience working on and leading transparency and accountability initiatives, including conducting applied political economy analysis
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in a relevant field, such as public policy or economics.
- Demonstrated track record in successfully building and effectively managing diverse teams of employees.
- Experience managing complex and multifaceted projects, along with demonstrated skill in organizing resources, establishing priorities, and achieving results
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, creative problem-solving, and ethical management.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with governments and civil society partners.
- Exhibit effective personnel management, coordination, and decision-making skills along with an ability to troubleshoot.
- Possess exceptional communication and collaboration skills and a proven track record of interacting with other projects, high-level government counterparts, and international agencies.
- Familiarity with political, economic, social, and cultural context of Malawi and the issues around transparency and accountability
- Prior experience working in Malawi preferred
- Fluency in English