- UNDP works in around 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) China is the China country office of the United Nations Development Programme – the global development network of the United Nations. UNDP has been working in China over the past 40 years, partnering to advance various phases of China’s development. We provide development advisory services and implement projects through innovation and applying our international experience and network in three pillars: supporting China’s transformation to a low-carbon economy so that more people enjoy a cleaner, healthier environment; facilitating China’s shift to using the SDGs as a standard for its inclusive development, economic decisions and investments, and supporting China’s international cooperation and south south engagement for SDG attainment.
- The Team Lead/ARR is responsible for leading the implementation of UNDP China’s programme in the planet pillar to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030, including management of GEF Programme, the Montreal Protocol and the expanding and diversifying climate change and low-carbon and circular economy, provide support to Small Grant Programme (SGP).
- The Team Lead/ARR is responsible for managing the Planet Pillar, of UNDP China Country Programme, by providing strategic guidance and overseeing project implementation to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. The portfolio covers the following indicative areas: climate change, nature-based solutions, Montreal Protocol, Chemicals and leaving no one behind.
- The Team Lead/ARR will leads the design and implementation of the programmes, strategic partnerships, resource mobilization and will have supervisory functions. In particular the Team Lead/ARR will be responsible for managing UNDPs vertical fund portfolio and is responsible to ensure compliance of the programme portfolio and its implementation with UNDP rules and regulations, managing effective partnerships with Chinese counterparts and all key stakeholders, and monitoring and reporting on the portfolio. He/she will be responsible to identify implementation bottlenecks, formulate and execute corrective actions to address these and improve performance of the Programme.
- The Team Lead/ARR of Planet Pillar works in close collaboration with the “People and Prosperity Pillar and the Partnerships Pillar, the Communications and Innovation team, as well as the Operations Team. He/she also coordinates with UNDP HQs and regional office, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, local governments, private sector and civil society ensuring successful CO programme implementation. He/she has representational responsibilities in and outside of China.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Strategic direction of UNDP programme: Ensures the strategic direction of UNDP programme in the assigned portfolio
- Programme management: Ensure programme results through leading the design, implementation and monitoring of the programme portfolio, including budget and financial management, as well as management of human resources.
- Partnership building: Create and maintain strategic partnerships with government and other partners and support the resource mobilization aimed at strengthening the UNDP China programme portfolio.
- Top quality policy advice and programme advocacy: Provide top quality policy advisory services to the Government, and other partners, develop related substantive products. Advocate UNDP’s programme at both national and international level.
Strategic direction of UNDP programme: Ensures the strategic direction of UNDP programme in the assigned portfolio by focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNSDCF, CPD, CPAP, AWP and other documents.
- Provide input to UNDP corporate, regional and UNDP China strategic planning and initiatives.
- Keep abreast of regional and global experience in identification of effective solutions to development challenges in the UNDP China programme portfolio thematic areas and seek ways to apply them in China.
- Identification of strategic programme areas of cooperation.
- Operationalization of UNSDCF/ CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies. Identification of possibilities for joint programming.
Programme management: Ensures effective management of the CO programme and supervision of the planet team focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following results
- Design and formulation of CO programme within area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities into local interventions. Supervise the implementation of projects by UNDP and in cooperation with counterparts and ensure delivery on time, budget and with quality.
- Ensure lessons learnt feed back into future programme design and Integrate overarching development principles and innovation concepts into the portfolio design and implementation.
- Ensure that environmental and social standards are reflected in all of UNDP’s portfolio through advising other teams as needed, as well as other counterparts.
- Ensure the development of strong synergies between the different UNDP China programme portfolios to facilitate and optimize the SDGs implementation in China.
- Ensure monitoring, audit and evaluation of the programme portfolio, compliance with UNDP rules and regulations. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. Team Leaders/ARR performs the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval. Effectively apply Result Based Management (RBM) tools and monitoring achievement of results.
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations team
Partnership building: Create and maintain strategic partnerships with government and other partners and support the resource mobilization aimed at strengthening the UNDP China programme portfolio.
- Creation, maintenance and implementation of the strategic partnerships with government ministries and governmental institutions at national and provincial/local level, academia, civil society and private sector to Implement CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies
- Represent UNDP at national, regional and global events
- Preparation of cooperation agreements and funding proposals to be negotiated with Government counterparts, private sector and other UNDP portfolio partners in respective programme area.
- Lead the team’s efforts in resource mobilization/pipeline management related to the multi-lateral funding systems GEF, GCF and Montreal Protocol as well as with local government and private sector funded projects.
- Development and provide input to events, speeches, etc. related to the portfolio.
Top quality advisory services and programme advocacy: Provide top quality policy advisory services to the Government, and other partners, develop related substantive products. Advocate UNDP’s programme at both national and international level.
- Provide policy advisory services to the government and other partners related to his/her substantive portfolio.
- Advise the government of China’s implementation of the multi-lateral environmental agreements China is signatory to.
- Coordinate with UNDP China programme staff’s and the UNDP China communication unit the appropriate level of communication around the UNDP China programme portfolio, leading to a good name recognition of UNDP with key partners and the public at large, maximizing UNDP’s and its partners visibility and profile.
- Identify and syntheses best practices and key outcomes from the portfolio directly related to the SDG implementation, country programme document and the UNDP annual reporting.
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice within and outside of UNDP.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme and reaching UNSDCF/ CPD goals. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Natural Resources Management, Chemical Management, or related field. A doctor degree in the relevant field will be an asset
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Thorough understanding of China’s environmental issues and processes. Experience in providing policy advice on sensitive environmental issues, in one or more of the main UNDP China portfolio areas (biodiversity and ecosystem, climate change (adaptation and Mitigation), natural resources management, POPs and chemical managements and SDG implementation) .
- Resource mobilization experience including counterpart negotiations, proposal writing, and donor prospecting is an asset, as well as an established network of experts and partners.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.