Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
- USAID's ProtectHealth project, formerly the Health Equity and Financial Protection Platform (HEFPP), in collaboration with other USAID projects, will support the Government of the Philippines (GPH) to enhance access and financing to meet key family planning (FP) and tuberculosis (TB) outcomes, as well as other essential services in the context of implementing Republic Act 11223 or the Universal Health Care (UHC) Law Implementing Rules and Regulations. ProtectHealth will specifically support GPH's implementation of UHC by helping address policy and institutional bottlenecks within the health financing system to improve benefit delivery and increase the utilization of the DOH budget, especially for FP and TB.
- ProtectHealth will provide technical assistance (TA) to enable the GPH to rapidly and effectively enact reforms envisioned in the UHC Law by convening decision-makers at critical points in the policy process. ProtectHealth assistance will help, enable sustainable financing of TB and FP, improve the utilization of health benefits and increase financial protection of the population.
- As jointly the "Technical Advisor, Health Financing and Strategic Purchasing" the TECHNICAL ADVISOR will provide substantive leadership to the project's activities in key areas under Objective 1 of the project award, especially project activities focused on benefit package reform for TB and FP, as well as broadly primary care, in collaboration with PhilHealth and DOH. S/he will lead assistance in areas such as improved purchasing designs from providers including the private sector, and use of instruments such as global budgets and enhanced case-based payments; financial sustainability of the National Health Insurance Program (NHIP) in collaboration with PhilHealth; communication of revised benefits for TB and FP under the NHIP, especially in the context of the UHC Law; project support to the DOH and GPH in the development and implementation of the guidelines for the Special Health Fund, especially on the financing of healthcare provider networks; improved Public Finance Management (PFM) and development of long-term sustainable financing strategies for FP and TB with the DOH.
- The TECHNICAL ADVISOR will contribute significantly to the achievement of deliverables and intended impacts over the course of the project under Objective 2 of the award. In addition, the TECHNICAL ADVISOR will contribute to project activities related to improved public financial management at DOH, especially to increase execution of funds for TB and FP. The TECHNICAL ADVISOR will also contribute significantly to implementation of improved TB and FP financing mechanisms in selected AIS. The TECHNICAL ADVISOR will also contribute to the analysis and interpretation of data from household surveys such as the National Health Expenditure Survey (NHES) and improvements to their instruments to yield better information for health financing and strategic purchasing designs.
- The TECHNICAL ADVISOR will support project staff in reporting of project deliverables and the achievement of the processes indicated in the ProtectHealth Activity Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan (AMELP) as well as the Sustainability Plan.
Project Management and Leadership
- Provide guidance, oversight and quality assurance for specific areas of project activities related to the scope above. Ensure quality of related outputs and deliverables. Assist the COP in the effective implementation of work plans to ensure delivery is on time, meets client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant
- Ensure an integrated technical and operational approach among components and partners
- Contribute significantly to project planning, contribute technical expertise as necessary to ensure project implementation, with a focus on results and financial accountability for all project activities
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the project's senior leadership team and provide input as needed on technical approach and direction
- Develop strong working relationships and a regular dialogue on activity progress and challenges with relevant project staff, and, during the scheduled absences of the COP, with Palladium headquarters staff including the PD
- Provide technical leadership in the development and implementation of various products and activities specifically concerning health financing and strategic purchasing.
- Develop strong working relationships with the government of Philippines in the area of health financing and strategic purchasing, as well as overall in support of the COP; and relevant stakeholders and institutions.
- Manage relationships in areas of technical leadership with the host country government, counterpart agencies, project partners and stakeholders.
- Identify consultant and short-term staffing needs to implement health financing and strategic purchasing activities and develop scopes of work for such staff and consultants.
- Facilitate discussions among the project team and with governmental and non-governmental stakeholders to develop the activities in areas of substantial leadership or significant contribution.
- Support project plans for results measurement, monitoring and evaluation, and communication management.
- Monitor implementation progress in the area of health financing and strategic purchasing, as well as overall in support of the COP; work to resolve issues, manage and mitigate risks; and escalate material issues and risks as appropriate.
- Write and/or review components of the project strategy and work plan, specifically those related to health financing and strategic purchasing, but also provide text for other objectives as requested.
- Prepare briefs, reports, and analyses based upon project, client, and counterpart need.
- Any other duties as assigned by the COP or PD.
Staff Management and Supervision
- Supervise and mentor technical staff directly supervised as per the project organizational chart, and provide support to others in related areas, ensuring their continued professional and effective performance.
- Follow good staff management practices set by the project, including staff planning, performance appraisal and development.
- Perform regular check-ins with direct reports to promote quality performance and provide constructive feedback.
- Contribute to training needs assessment of the team, developing and implementing performance improvement plans and on-the-job-training where appropriate.
- Escalate any performance issues to the COP or the PD
- Experience in technical delivery and leadership in the area of health financing and economics, leading a technical advisor team of specialists in health systems financing and health economics.
- Recent experience in the Philippines or Southeast Asia providing support to national governments on health financing and health insurance decision-making.
- Knowledge of latest techniques and issues related to health financing and health insurance purchasing. Experience in strategic purchasing, especially private sector contracting will be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of methodologies used in financial analyses, cost-effectiveness analysis, quantitative analysis, and statistical/econometric analysis;
- Proven experience conducting training events, workshops, and building the capacity of counterparts to strengthen health financing at the national level.
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects is desirable.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in disseminating work through conference presentations, publications, and journal articles will be an advantage.