Do you hold deep and up-to-date knowledge on child labor in the private sector? Are you passionate about children's rights and do have experience as an advisor?
Working at Terre des Hommes is fighting against exploitation of children. Worldwide. Without discriminating. With respect for local cultures. People who work at Terre des Hommes, are not there for the good coffee, but to make a difference in the world!
About your department
The lobby and expertise team consist of 7 ambitious technical advisors. They focus on the issue of child exploitation, with four key program themes centered around:
- the worst forms of Child Labor;
- (Commercial) Sexual Exploitation of Children;
- Child Trafficking and Unsafe Migration;
- Child Abuse / Child Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.
They address child exploitation through five strategies: prevention child exploitation; provision of services to ensure safe reintegration of child victims; prosecution of those who perpetrate crimes against children; promotion of a safe and conducive social/economic/legal context for children; and partnership & participation to strengthen civil society in the promotion of children’s rights and to include meaningful participation of children.
Position in the organisation
The position is part of the global Lobby and Expertise team, that supports the development of our organisational (strategic) focus, program themes, country program, institutional fundraising and the relation between these. The team also supports and coordinates lobby & advocacy activities as well as research. As Technical Advisor you report to the manager Lobby, Expertise and Programs
What will you do and how will you make an impact?
- You will work on and provide strategies to engage the private sector to work against child labor
- You will act as a private sector/supply chain expert for both internal and external bodies and you are responsible for advising on all policy matters relating to private sector/supply chain, specifically in the context of our child labor program, mica.
- You hold deep and up-to-date knowledge on child labor, supply chain and engagement with relevant stakeholders (private sector), through research and networking.
- You will work towards expanding, facilitating projects (your main focus will be the Mica program, with the objective to eradicate child labor issues in the mica industry through comprehensive interventions in India and in Europe, and soon to be in Madagascar) through strong involvement in program development and (institutional) fundraising. Terre des Hommes strives to develop new and innovative programming to address the complexity of child exploitation. It is expected from the technical advisor to contribute significantly to this. You will ensure all programming is of excellent technical quality and that all program contribute to Terre des Hommes’ strategic objectives, global learning and advocacy. The post holder is expected to provide technical advice and support to program staff and our partners to ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved.
Knowledge and skills
- A masters degree in a relevant field such as international development studies, business, or law and multi-year (3+) relevant experience working in international development.
- Extensive legal knowledge of children’s rights, child labor, private sector engagement and responsible sourcing
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of policies and research plans, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Proven involvement in successful institutional fundraising with multiple donors.
- Proven experience in training and capacity building of civil society organisations.
- Experience in preparing and presenting to national, regional and global fora.
- Experience with strategic program communication and lobby & advocacy
- Preferably: Experience working on child protection program with (I)NGOs
- Preferably: Experience in child labor in the private sector/mining/rural program
- Excellent command of English and preferably Dutch, both spoken and written