Technical Advisor, Pre-Service Strengthening
FHI 360, Monrovia, Liberia
Closing Date for Applications:
- This anticipated five-year comprehensive teacher training program in Liberia aims to improve early childhood education and primary education teachers’ quality and instructional delivery. TESTS will build capacity and strengthen teacher training institutions in the areas of primary and early childhood education, improve the quality of critical teaching skills and improve the enabling environment for teacher practice.
- The Technical Advisor (TA) of Pre-Service Strengthening will report to the Chief of Party and has the overall responsibility for leading the planning and implementation of all technical activities for the preservice teacher education component of the project. He/She will supervise/oversee pre-service coordinators at select universities to help implement and monitor program interventions. The TA will work with stakeholders in the Government of Liberia, including the Ministry of Education, partner organizations, and Liberian universities. Along with the COP, the TA will work to build capacities of the MOE and Liberia universities including administrators and instructors.
- The Technical Advisor of Pre-Service Strengthening will provide overall technical guidance to the pre-service teacher training program in Liberia by:
- Playing a pivotal role in working closely with the government authorities, universities, other partners and local teams to develop/establish pre-service teacher training policy, standards and performance expectations
- Coordinating the pedagogy curriculum integration work at target universities in Liberia and other relevant stakeholder so that collaborative and sustainable teacher education programs are developed that are aligned with pre-service teacher training policy, standards and performance expectations
- Supporting Liberian university administrations and faculty in establishing necessary procedures and training expectations
- Monitoring and documenting project progress, success, and challenges to keep key stakeholders informed of progress and ensure that program adaptation would ensue because of appropriate/effective data collection and feedback loops
- Working closely with the Chief of Party, Director of Operations, ministries, and universities to complete project objectives in a compliant way, on budget and on time
- Providing overall quality assurance oversight on the design, implementation, and evaluation of program activities to ensure alignment with project objectives, university priorities, and government policies;
- Whenever appropriate, supervising the integration of technology into teacher training activities.
- Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent; PhD or EdD is preferred) in education, curriculum and instruction, education policy and planning, or a similar relevant field;
- Minimum of 8-11 years’ experience in pre-service training projects, preferably with USAID;
- At least 5 years of experience in the education sector in Liberia or the region;
- Demonstrated experience in project design, policy dialogue, strategic planning and implementation, education reform and national-level quality improvement;
- Experience managing teacher training and professional development programming is required; experience in community engagement/mobilization preferred;
- Must have demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Experience as a teacher or teacher educator is preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication in English required.