Technical Advisor, Urban Disaster Management
World Vision International(WVI), Position to be determined by location of successful candidate where WVI is registered, Philippines
Closing Date for Applications:
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- The technical advisor for urban disaster management will lead the organisation in collaborative action to become an exemplary agency that addresses the needs of children in affected by urban disasters. The successful candidate will consult and co-operate with many different groups within the organisation to design strategies, standards, operating and programming frameworks, mechanisms, systems and projects. The purpose of the collaboration is to provide the necessary direction, capacity and competency for quality and timely disaster management in urban contexts across the globe. Within all programme development, there will be a clear understanding of how the programme contributes to child well-being.
- The jobholder will represent WV in key external engagements related to urban disaster contexts.
The strengthening of effective working relationships across the whole of the organisation to build a compelling vision, strategy and workplan that enables WV to be a leader in urban Disaster Management. In particular this work will ensure there is close collaboration with the :
- Current WV Urban Centre of Expertise.
- DM2020 Change team leaders especially the conflict team.
- Priority regions and countries
- Drive ongoing learning and innovation in the field that enables WV to become a leader in urban DM. This will be done in collaboration with key sector as well as context specialists.
- Design an external engagement strategy and ensure collaborative partnerships with peer agencies, research institutions and appropriate business to both learn from and contribute to new, cutting-edge thinking and approaches around urban disaster management and position WV as a child focused urban disaster management organization.
- Ensure that WV programming related to urban DM is child focused and reaches the most vulnerable children.
- Support strategic efforts with the DM2020 Resource Development team to grow funding for urban disasters.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Masters-level degree in a discipline related to disaster response management or significant empirical knowledge of urban and related issues.
- Field based experience during disaster responses, with strong preference for experience in urban disaster contexts.
- Core humanitarian competencies including knowledge of international standards and their implementation as well as personal resilience.
- A minimum of 3 years operational and management experience in the humanitarian/urban sector preferably within World Vision.
- Empirical knowledge of the humanitarian sector including humanitarian charters, laws, and standards.
- Strategic thinking , planning and leading effective inter disciplinary, cross cultural and ecumenical teams working in multi-faith environments.
- Understanding of effective change processes.
- Demonstrated capacity to negotiate and influence individuals and teams to create effective results throughout the whole organization.
- Proven effectiveness in using networks to achieve positive outcomes.
- Experience developing innovative/pilot approaches.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English to inspire and motivate both small and large audiences.
- Written and verbal communication in English and preferably one other international language (French, Spanish, Arabic).
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
- Strategic and analytical skills
- Negotiation skills.
- Excellent communication skils presenting in field and global fora.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Ability to work with a reasonably level of comfort in high tension and highly insecure situations.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically. stressful environments and physical hardships.
- Broad understanding of interfaith isues and maturity in bringing Christian life and ministry together with good business principles.
- Understanding of major donor and international trends.