Technical Director, Food Security -- Malawi
Project Concern International (PCI), Blantyre, Malawi
Closing Date for Applications:
Anticipated Start Date: October 2019 (Note: This position is contingent upon award)
Founded in 1961, Project Concern International (PCI) is an international non-profit organization that empowers people to enhance health, end hunger, and overcome hardship. Last year, PCI impacted the lives of nearly 12 million people in 16 countries across Asia, Africa, and the Americas. During the past 50 years, the organization has served millions more in 14 additional countries. PCI has operated in Malawi since 2007. It currently manages and implements an integrated portfolio of programming in food aid, food security, nutrition, agriculture, health, and disaster risk management including the on-going USAID Food For Peace Title II Njira project.
PCI is recruiting for the Technical Director, Food Security (TDFS) of an anticipated five-year, $75 million, USAID-funded project in two districts of Southern Malawi. This Food for Peace (FFP) Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) will sustainably improve food and nutrition security and resilience among ultra-poor and chronically vulnerable households and communities by supporting the implementation of the Government of Malawi’s (GoM) National Resilience Strategy 2018-2030 (NRS) which aims to break the cycle of food insecurity. It will build upon knowledge gained through USAID’s on-going Njira and UBALE FFP projects. USAID and other key donors have pledged support to the NRS.
The strategy’s four pillars are:
- As the senior project technical specialist, team with the Chief of Party in providing strategic oversight of the project’s technical work through an integrated vision, continuous improvement of quality, innovation, and establishment of a results-driven management system.
- As the senior project technical specialist, play a critical role in project leadership and management by overseeing all project technical leads.
- Provide high-level project technical leadership ensuring beneficiary resilience in food and nutrition security are achieved through integrated programmatic approaches
- Work closely with the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Lead and the Strategic Learning Lead to ensure that M&E and learning feedback loops are being properly fed into and utilized by the technical field staff.
- Ensure technical interventions are integrated, layered and sequenced appropriately at all levels of implementation within the FFP activity, and USAID investments.
- Ensure that all of the technical sectors work together to create multiplier effects across and between sectors.
- Ensure that overall technical implementation quality remains consistent and of high quality among all of the sub-awardees and implementation locations in the award.
- Establish and manage systems to ensure cohesion across all technical sectors of the project.
- Mentor project pillar technical staff to develop standard operating guidelines, quality assurance and control systems, milestones, successful startup and efficient technical service delivery mechanisms.
- Contribute to management of partners’ and sub-grantees’ performance by establishing accountability mechanisms in program, commodity and data quality management.
- Foster excellent communication protocols and working relationships with Government, donors, partners and other stakeholders.
- Establish a culture of evidence-based decision-making and data driven analytics through a well-developed monitoring and evaluation system.
- Establish a work culture that respects and prioritizes the needs of communities, especially the most vulnerable.
- Actively engage in PCI’s effort to embed innovation and support the project team in doing so as well.
- An advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in an area relevant to food security/resilience, a minimum of 7-10 years of senior management experience, or a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 9-12 years of senior management experience in similar/relevant projects.
- Minimum of 5 years of Deputy Chief of Party, Technical Director or similar level experience in Food Security focused development programs
- Experience in programming cross-cutting issues, including: community/district level governance and planning, gender and youth equity and social and behavior change.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate and coordinate a complex set of interventions across various technical areas and foster collaboration across teams.
- Strong adaptive management and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Experience working overseas in low-resource environments.
- Demonstration of directly managing a broad spectrum of food security technical focus areas, including those relevant to the Government of Malawi’s National Resilience Strategy’s four pillars, which are noted above.
- Experience in delivering project activities through facilitative approaches involving government agencies, bodies and community structures.
- Ability to engage, network with, and build consensus among a wide range of stakeholders, including senior government officials, NGOs (local and international), representatives of civil society, the private sector and US Government partners.
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated experience in directly managing diverse technical teams, developing/mentoring staff and recruiting needed talent.
- Demonstrated experience developing and ensuring quality control.
- Recent, relevant work experience in Malawi is highly desirable, qualified Malawian candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with US Government donor regulations, with a preference for USAID.
- Experience managing complex, multi-million dollar contracts and/or cooperative agreements funded by the US Government, with a preference for USAID.
- Development philosophy in keeping with PCI’s mission, vision, core values and approach to integrated, community-driven programming.
- Excellent analytical and self-motivation skills; excellent advocacy and persuasion skills; able to think critically.
- Malawian nationals are highly encouraged to apply. Only finalists will be contacted. PCI is an equal opportunity employer.
- Job Location
- Blantyre, Malawi
- Position Type