Food and Agriculture Organization , Vienna, Austria
Closing Date for Applications:
The mandate of the Joint FAO/IAEA Centre of Nuclear Techniques in Food and Agriculture (CJN) is to assist Members of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in using nuclear techniques and related technologies to improve food security, alleviate poverty and promote sustainable agriculture. The Joint FAO/IAEA Centre consists of five Sections, each with an associated laboratory (located in Seibersdorf, Austria), in the areas of: animal production and health; plant breeding and genetics; insect pest control; soil and water management and crop nutrition; and food and environmental protection. The major activities of the joint FAO/IAEA Centre focus on 1) support and coordination of R-D activities; 2) capacity building and technology for FAO/IAEA Members; 3) laboratory and technical support and assistance; 4) policy advice and knowledge dissemination.
The Technical Officer reports to the Director of the Joint FAO/IAEA Centre (CJN).
- Comprehensive technical/programmatic and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of the Joint FAO/IAEA programmes, its technical cooperation and coordinated research projects, products and services in accordance with FAO Strategic Objectives.
- Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services.
- Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services;
- Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties;
- Assists in the coordination of programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
- Assists/supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
- Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
- Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
- Provides advice on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget);
- Manages administrative support at the Joint FAO/IAEA Centre level, including, where applicable, formulation of procedures, coordination of audit issues,
- Supports programme/project management in the Joint FAO/IAEA Centre and acts as technical liaison officer for selected projects, including IAEA Technical Cooperation Projects.
- Provides guidance and coordination for the preparation of internal and public communication documents related to the Joint FAO/IAEA Centre
- Oversees and supports the updating of division's web pages;
- Reviews and revises, as necessary, all submissions for substantive programmes/projects, ensuring compliance with mandates, guidelines and programme/project objectives;
- Performs other related technical/programmatic duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, food security, sustainable agriculture, natural resources management, international development and partnerships, or related field
- Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation's related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).