World Health Organization, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The WHO Country Office collaborates with the Government of Bangladesh and relevant stakeholders within the framework of the collaborative Country Cooperation Strategy (CCS) to provide technical assistance to the government in the formulation of national health policies, strategies and plans and the development of guidelines and tools for implementation, monitoring and evaluation of interventions for improving access, quality, equity and affordability of integrated and people centred health services.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative, direct supervision of the Team Leader - Health Systems, and working in close collaboration with the Regional Office team on health systems development and the health system team in the country office, the incumbent will be working with national authorities and other relevant stakeholders to:
- Provide technical assistance on integrated, people centred and equitable health service delivery including close engagement with different stakeholders and key country partners;
- Lead the technical assistance for the implementation of the Essential Service Package developed under the Bangladesh five year health sector development plan, for delivery of services at district level and below, in both rural and urban areas;
- Guide technical consultations and dialogues with a view of better aligning the country's policies with the Global Strategy on People Centred Integrated Health Services, the Global Strategy on Human Resources for Health: Workforce 2030, the Regional Strategy for Patient Safety in the WHO South-East Asia Region, among others;
- Provide technical advice on policy development, planning, implementation and evaluation in the field of integrated, people centred and equitable health service delivery, with a view of improving the availability, accessibility, acceptability and quality, particularly for the poor and vulnerable;
- Support efforts towards strengthening the stewardship and regulatory functions in relation to service delivery, with a focus on quality and safety (e.g. through licensing, accreditation, incentive mechanisms, etc.);
- Provide technical guidance for strengthening comprehensive/system wide approaches to quality improvement in health service delivery, including infection prevention and control and waste management;
- Provide support in the development, implementation and coordination of capacity development efforts on integrated, people centred and equitable health service delivery, including strengthening the leadership role and management skills of health managers particularly at for front-line services;
- Provide technical support to strengthen mechanisms and tools adopting a results-based approach in the health sector; including monitoring and evaluation processes of performance management of health services in Bangladesh;
- Contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals and Universal Health Coverage related efforts in Bangladesh;
- Support the ESP working group in the country office with a view of enhancing the alignment of WHO supported programme activities (under categories one, two, three and 12) with the ESP implementation;
- Participate in the preparation of Biennial Work Plans (BWP), budget and technical evaluation reports;
- When called upon to directly supervise staff, establish clear work objectives, conduct timely and effective performance appraisals, provide coaching and feedback, and support staff development opportunities;
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Submit end of assignment report (mandatory)
- Essential: University degree in health sciences (medicine, nursing, public health or related subject) or social /management sciences (sociology, anthropology, development studies,administration or related subject) from a recognized university and a postgraduate degree (master) in health policy/systems/planning or health service delivery/management/administration or public health or a health services related field, from a recognized university.
- Doctorate in health systems, service delivery, health services management/organisation,public health would be an asset.
- Additional training in health service management; licensing and accreditation of health services/facilities; quality improvement initiatives.
- Essential: At least seven years of relevant work experience in health systems strengthening for the advancement of UHC, with a focus on health service delivery/ management/ organisation,some of which should have been obtained in an international context,particularly in low and or middle income country settings.
- Desirable: Work experience on essential or basic health service packages design, implementation and evaluation; on health service delivery/ management/ organization of front line services (first level of care); on the organization / delivery of health services in urban areas; on quality improvement initiatives and patient safety and clinical risks (including infection prevention and control and waste management).
- Demonstrated expertise in the organization, management and delivery of health services, including integrated models of health care, people centred and equitable health services, and the development of services to facilitate the empowerment of people and the community
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic thinking,political and stakeholder analysis, community participation, negotiation methods, leadership and development
- Demonstrated experience in inter-sectoral collaboration and ability to work with other agencies and development partners in middle and or low income country settings
- Demonstrated professional writing and oral skills including the development of high quality reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest level of the Organization.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English