World Health Organization, Cairo, Egypt
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objectives of the WHO health information system is to work with Member States and other technical units to improve the availability, quality and use of health information at country and sub-national levels and to strengthen the evidence base at regional and global levels to monitor health, reduce inequalities in health and evaluate programme effectiveness.
This work involves:
- developing and strengthening of regional and national capacity to monitor health situation, trends, inequalities and determinants using global and regional standards.
- synthesizing, generating and providing health information and statistics for evidence-informed policy formulation and decision-making at national and sub-national levels, with emphasis on Sustainable Development Goals and universal health coverage monitoring.
- collaborating with global and regional mechanisms for developing health information systems.
- facilitating resource mobilization (human resources, technical and financial) for health information systems strengthening in the region, including global and regional partnerships.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Provide ongoing technical advice and briefing to Member States and team members involved in collection, analysis and reporting of data from disease and risk factor surveillance systems and surveys.
- Aggregate, maintain, analyze and collate country information on cause of death by identifying gaps, provision of advice, and actions to improve collection and reporting on cause of death data.
- Harmonize data collection across Member States to respond to specific information requests from the technical teams and partners, and identify gaps in health information, and appropriate dissemination of information and knowledge sharing with all partners.
- Develop key information products such as reports, briefs and profiles using key information data.
- Support Ministry of Health and other stakeholders to strengthen health information systems including civil registration and vital statistics systems and other routine sources of data.
- Review country specific household and facilitate national survey to support the Ministry of Health and other stakeholders for the development of national survey plans to enhance generation of core indicators that rely on data from population-based surveys.
- Perform other related duties, as required and assigned by supervisors.
- Essential: University degree in medicine, biostatistics, statistics, econometrics, demography or public health.
- Desirable: Master'sdegree or equivalent in biostatistics, epidemiology, health systems research or health informatics.
- Essential: At least two years of progressive experience at the national and international level in the field of public health, particularly in health information systems, health surveys and research field.
- Desirable: Experience with the UN.
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the management of health information.
- Ability to conduct data collection and analysis using various methods.
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Knowledge of programme management and functioning of WHO and the UN system is an asset.
- Knowledge of health situation analysis, biostatistics and / or epidemiology (including data collection, quality check, analysis), survey conduct, and management of datasets Knowledge of International Classification of Diseases (ICD); International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF), and related classifications.
- Knowledge of health statistical informatics, indicator development, monitoring and evaluation and use of statistical and health information products in supporting decision making process.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of French. Intermediate knowledge of Arabic.