OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of WHO is to promote health, keep the world safe and serve the vulnerable. WHO's work on UHC will be fully aligned with SDG target 3.8, which focuses on achieving UHC, including financial risk protection, access to quality essential health-care services and access to safe, effective, quality and affordable essential medicines and vaccines for all. In addition, Regional Director's Vision for 2023 vehemently makes “Expanding Universal Health Coverage” as its top strategic priority in the region and focuses on implementing the recommendations of the Salalah Declaration on Universal Health Coverage of 2018, to ensure that at least 100 million more people from the region benefit from UHC by 2023.
A strong and well-coordinated health system foundation enables effectiveness of individual programs and efficient use of shared system resources for all programs and both underpins and unifies public health efforts aimed at combating diseases and building healthy communities in an efficient and equitable manner, especially for high priority, excluded and underserved population groups
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will be required to perform all or part of the following duties:
- Promote the integration and alignment between various projects and activities aimed at advancing UHC in the region
- Provide technical expertise and managerial guidance to technical programs and country offices to ensure that UHC specific activities are carried out efficiently and effectively
- Build alliances and collaborate with other technical programs, national, regional and international partners to promote UHC
- Oversee and coordinate UHC work plans at regional and country level, where applicable, and monitor the implementation of planned activities
- Represent the regional office in the Joint Working Team established for coordination among country and regional offices and Headquarter, and provide technical insight in the development and monitoring of country roadmaps and support plans for UHC
- Coordinate with the departmental teams and units to develop a strategy for advancement of UHC in the countries, where applicable
- Design and produce policy briefs, advocacy and communication products on UHC
- Organize missions to Member States in the region and represent WHO in meetings with counterparts, external stakeholders, donors and partners to coordinate various aspects of UHC, including health financing strategies and health service packages
- Provide technical expertise and lead technical preparations to prioritize agenda and set the program of regional and sub-regional UHC-related meetings1
- Prepare funding proposals and reports on progress in implementation of UHC-related activities for submission to donors
- Essential: Master's degree in medicine or public health or social sciences
- PHD in public health or social sciences, or international relations, or related field
- Training in health program development, health research, policy development/management
- Essential: At least 7 years of related experience in health policy and program development at national and international level.
- Desirable: Working experience with UN organizations or multilateral systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of public health as they relate to Universal Health Coverage.
- Ability to undertake evidence-based and rigorous advocacy on issues relating UHC for various audiences, levels and programs in various settings.
- Ability to develop innovative approaches and solutions in implementing UHC in the Eastern Mediterranean Region.
- Excellent knowledge of country level situations with regard to their health systems development and management with good understanding of relevant country's needs, priorities and policies, along with WHO's policies, practices, guidelines and procedures in the related areas and ability to apply them in the country office setting.
- Ability to conduct research and analyze results, identify issues, formulate opinions, and make conclusions and recommendations for strengthening health care systems. Ability to review and revise policies and objectives with regard to UHC.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Driving the Organization to a Successful Future
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of French. Intermediate knowledge of Arabic.