WHO - World Health Organization, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Description of Duties:
Under the supervision of the World Health Organization Representative (WR), the incumbent will perform the function of Family and Reproductive Health Technical Officer. The incumbent will work closely and provide technical assistance to the Reproductive, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) programmes of the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC) Mainland Tanzania, Ministry of Health Zanzibar (MOHz) and Presidents’ Office Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG) to plan, implement and monitor the progress towards achieving RMNCAH targets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and familiarize with national RMNCAH health policies, strategies, programmes and related legislations to ensure alignment with the Global Strategies and plans
- Coordinate Reproductive Maternal and Newborn health activities and Technical working groups (TWG) forums in order to enhance partnerships and coordinated efforts by partners and stakeholders supporting implementation of RMNCAH interventions.
- Work closely with RMNCAH team and related programmes of the Ministries of Health and Ministerial Departments and Agencies (MDAs) at central, regional and district levels to develop and implement strategies and approaches to improve Quality of Care (QOC) for Maternal Newborn and Child health including support implementation of Quality of care packages such as Antenatal care, Emergency obstetric and Newborn care (EmONC), Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance and Response(MPDSR) , Emergency Treatment and Triage(ETAT)
- Provide technical assistance in the adoption, dissemination and capacity for use of technical guidelines, standards, norms and tools for RMNCAH and ensure integrated service delivery in collaboration with other related programmes such as PMTCT, HIV, Family planning, Nutrition, Child Health, Immunization, malaria, NCD, Cervical cancer and Sexually transmitted diseases.
- Facilitate the establish effective partnerships and coordination mechanisms by liaising with UN agencies particularly H6, and other partners to support the MOH convening and coordination function and ensure harmonized technical assistance for RMNCAH interventions to address prevention of teenage pregnancies, and scale up of adolescent friendly sexual and reproductive health and gender equity and rights.
- Provide technical assistance for adoption training approaches through on the job training, mentorship and supportive supervision for RMNCAH interventions at central, region and district levels for corrective actions, results and sustained positive changes in knowledge, competencies, attitudes and practices for improving quality of RMNCAH services.
- Support generation of evidence for RMNCAH through identification of research priorities, participation operations research and surveys and package and document the lessons a to inform RMNCAH programming and policy development
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation of RMNCAH programmes to track progress in the achieving the set targets for RMNCAH interventions
- Prepare fortnightly technical and quarterly progress reports against agreed detailed work plan milestones.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned by WHO Representative.
- Essential: University Degree in Medicine, Nursing or any other Clinical discipline
- Desirable: Master’s degree in Public Health or equivalent, Postgraduate Degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology from a recognized University or College.
- Other Skills (e.g. IT): Good computer skills in Microsoft Office packages, EPI Info
- Essential: At least 2 years of experience in Clinical or Public Health Practice in planning, implementing, monitoring and supervising health programmes, particularly RMCAH activities at national and decentralized levels.
- Desirable: Practical experience in working with Multi-lateral and bilateral organizations and Civil society organizations.
- Producing results
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Languages: Excellent knowledge of English