OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
To develop and implement health systems based on primary health care, supporting universal coverage.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
To provide technical expertise for building the capacity of AFR Member States to design efficient and effective essential medicines systems for PHC, and to ensure the generation and use of accurate lists and databases of essential and priority quality-assured medicines to support delivery of resilient health services; and to serve as focal point for the sub-region work on equitable access to safe and reliable medicines and products as part of UHC.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- The incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities which are performed according to the needs and agenda:
- To provide technical assistance to Member States on essential medicines procurement, supply, distribution and use within the context of functional health systems, ensuring adequate amounts, in appropriate dosages of quality-assured medicines and health products at affordable prices; supporting the developing and review of essential medicine and health product policies and strategies; supporting the development and updating of guidelines of national and institutional guidelines on essential medicines for clinical and preventive health care practice and capacity building.
- To serve as focal point for collaboration with sub-regional agencies and institutions in the harmonization of strategies and tools for essential medicines systems, providing advice on best practices and documentation of studies and research to ensure the availability of evidence-based, quality-assured medicines.
- To advise Member States on the development and update of norms and standards for essential medicines, based on agreed strategies and protocols, advising on the economic impact and costs of quality-assured pharmaceuticals to limit the financial burden of medicines on national authorities and communities while enabling full and fair access.
- To encourage and promote close cooperation between Member States by, as required, participating in sub-regional and inter-country meetings and consultations to ensure systematic data collection and reporting on essential medicines issues, including costs, availability and access in the African Region; initiating and/or supporting the development and updating of national and regional databases and statistics on essential medicines and other capacity building initiatives.
- Within the delegated authority, to work in partnership with development partners working in the area of access to medicines, contributing expertise and technical information and updates, as well as critically reviewing existing and new guidelines to assure quality-assurance and control of essential medicines.
- To collaborate with regional and national partners on the elaboration and implementation of resource mobilization and advocacy strategies.
- To support the implementation of WHO Resolutions pertaining to essential medicines and integrated people-centered health services at the regional and country levels in a proactive manner.
- To support the Team Leader, HIE in the development of work plans and budget proposals, as required.
- To perform other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required.
- Essential: Degree in pharmacy complemented by post-graduate degree management of medicines and pharmaceutical systems.
- Desirable: Post-graduate degree or training in health management and planning and/or in public health.
- Essential: At least seven years’ experience in the field of essential medicines management, analyses, costing and procurement at the national and international levels with four to five years’ experience in resource-limited countries; experience in capacity building and/or advising national health authorities on essential medicines.
- Desirable: Experience in the development of procurement protocols and guidelines on essential medicines for health professionals.
Demonstrated knowledge of policies, strategies, guidelines and protocols on essential medicines, essential medicines lists development and management based on WHO definitions and standards; proven track record and skills in clinical, pharmaceutics best practices with knowledge of the economics of pharmaceuticals of national and community budgets. Sound knowledge and experience in the analysis and management of medicines and medical products procurement, storage and distribution systems, and the development and implementation of appropriate norms and standards. Excellent communication and presentation skills with ability to write documents in a clear and concise manner, give technical advice and guidance taking into consideration the views of multiple stakeholders and partners. Documented participation in resource mobilization and advocacy activities. Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to promote consensus, communicate progress and results, and resolve issues in a proactive manner, while ensuring effective work practices and ethics. Diplomacy, tact and courtesy.
Proven ability to use standard office software packages, Conversant with common IT software including eHealth tools.
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Working knowledge of French.